Anyone ever try caribou?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, but reindeer is better. try to get a leg o' rudolph.

there's a place in florida that sells (oddly) norwegian stuff. a reindeer leg on a stand is a specialty. i'm thinking of ordering one for chrismas.

there's a place in florida that sells (oddly) norwegian stuff. a reindeer leg on a stand is a specialty. i'm thinking of ordering one for chrismas.
If you order reindeer, be sure to get gjetost and lingonberries so you can add those to your gravy. I imagine you can get those closer to home.

Haven't had caribou, but have had its close relative, elk, many times. For a long time there was a ranch just south of us where we would buy it. Sadly, last year they had to put down the entire herd because of brain wasting disease. It took the wind out of the owner's sails, and he never resurrected the business again.

Haven't had caribou, but have had its close relative, elk, many times. For a long time there was a ranch just south of us where we would buy it. Sadly, last year they had to put down the entire herd because of brain wasting disease. It took the wind out of the owner's sails, and he never resurrected the business again.

How sad. :angel:

Had it years ago along with some moose a friend brought back from a hunting trip in Alaska.

I found it much like White Tail with a slightly different flavor. Much better then the moose which I thought was much more of a greasy meat.

Now since December is nearing you'd best stay away from Rudolph. :mad: He knows the way to my chimney and I don't trust that old fat man in the red suit to find it. ;)

But if you do bag the red nosed fellow I suggest you fix him this way. :chef:

Red cooking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's hypocritical when I cheerfully scoff cows, sheep and pigs, but I balk at the thought of eating Rudolph.:ermm:

I found it much like White Tail with a slightly different flavor. Much better then the moose which I thought was much more of a greasy meat.

...[/url]

Interesting, I have had moose more times than any other game, and I found it to be the best game meat I ever had. Loved it.

Interesting, I have had moose more times than any other game, and I found it to be the best game meat I ever had. Loved it.

I watch all the shows about Alaska.
Moose is considered the "meat" to many of the natives.
Heard one native say he preferred moose to beef.

I have eaten wild game before and I am not very fond of it.
I would for sure try it again if i had the opportunity.

Cheek and lip meat is the best. As with any game if you do not like gamy smell and taste you are not going to like it, but that is when strong herbs come in.

If the carcass is gutted quickly after being shot and the meat is handled carefully, I don't find a "gamey" taste. I have eaten moose, deer, caribou, bear, partridge, snowshoe hare.

If the carcass is gutted quickly after being shot and the meat is handled carefully, I don't find a "gamey" taste. I have eaten moose, deer, caribou, bear, partridge, snowshoe hare.

Have eaten all of those, except Partridge. What is it?

Scratch that. Just looked up on Wiki. I have eaten that too. I love all the game. Bear is a special treat.

Last edited:
Have eaten all of those, except Partridge. What is it?

Scratch that. Just looked up on Wiki. I have eaten that too. I love all the game. Bear is a special treat.
Oops, I didn't mean partridge, I meant grouse (another game bird). I forgot porcupine. That's similar to bear. They are the exception to "gut immediately". You want to wait about 1/2 an hour with porcupine. The quills keep moving for that long and you really don't want to get quilled.

Yeap, had that too, actually grouse is consider delicacy. Porcupine and squirrel, and turtle make good soups. If you take baby porcupine, no worries about the quills.

Back
Top Bottom