"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Chief's Antelope Stroganoff

I made this last ight. Everyone liked it so much that the big pot had obly about a cup of leftovers I served it with rotini noodles, and butter. I love it when everyone gets to eat something that they enjoy.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground antelope
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup beef broth
2 tbs. flour
1/4 cup homemade crème fraiche
2 tbs., cooking oil

Make crème fraiche by adding 2 tbs. cultured buttermilk to 2 cups heavy cream. Stir, cover, and let sit at room temp. for 10 to 24 hours in advance (smooth sauce shown in the little bow).l

Heat oil in cast iron Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft. Add the ground antelope. .Cover and cook until meat is cooked through. Break up meat and add 1 can condensed mushroom soup (I know, but I had no way to get out and get fresh mushrooms, and the grandkids don't like mushrooms). Simmer for two hours Add 1 cup beef broth and let simmer for 30 minutes more. Make a slurry of the flour, with a bit of water. stir thoroughly into the stroganoff. Just before serving, stir in a quarter cup of the crème fraiche.

This can be served over pasta, egg noodles, or rice.

Oh, and even though I used condensed soup, this tasted really good. The firt picture is the completed result.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_173455.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	50177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_154909.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	50178  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211130_173248.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	50179  

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Sounds good. I've made it with antelope stew meat (3/4-inch chunks), sour cream, and German-style egg noodles.

Bitser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I've never had an antelope, what is the taste like? Can you compare it to something more common?

And stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes, though i never made it with ground meat, that's an interesting idea.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Antelop that was properly harvested, field dressed, and imediately place in a cold chest is rich, with a mild, almost goat flavor, kind of a cross between god lamb, and goat. It's not as gamey as goat can be, and is not like venison. It would also be great in Greek recipes, where the meat is seasoned, or in southwestern dishes like chili, tacos, etc. It's just good stuff. I'll be using it tonight to make enchilada pie.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Antelop that was properly harvested, field dressed, and imediately place in a cold chest is rich, with a mild, almost goat flavor, kind of a cross between god lamb, and goat. It's not as gamey as goat can be, and is not like venison. It would also be great in Greek recipes, where the meat is seasoned, or in southwestern dishes like chili, tacos, etc. It's just good stuff. I'll be using it tonight to make enchilada pie.

Interesting, I thought it would be gamey indeed. I plan to go to a gastronomy focused store soon, so will check if they have any Antelope meat on sale :)
Old 12-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
Head Chef

Sounds very interesting, Chief! Stroganoff is one of the first dishes I mastered, many years ago. Although I've modified my preferred recipe, over the years. It is still a favorite in our house! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

In most of the states where pronghorn antelope are common, they're considered wild game and it's illegal to sell the meat. Their biology and far-ranging habits make them hard to raise in confinement, like elk or deer.

Bitser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttermilk, creme, ground anrelope, mushroom soup, onion, recipe

Chief's Antelope Stroganoff I made this last ight. Everyone liked it so much that the big pot had obly about a cup of leftovers I served it with rotini noodles, and butter. I love it when everyone gets to eat something that they enjoy. Ingredients: 2 lbs. ground antelope 2 cloves minced garlic 1/4 cup diced onion 1 cup beef broth 2 tbs. flour 1/4 cup homemade crème fraiche 2 tbs., cooking oil Make crème fraiche by adding 2 tbs. cultured buttermilk to 2 cups heavy cream. Stir, cover, and let sit at room temp. for 10 to 24 hours in advance (smooth sauce shown in the little bow).l Heat oil in cast iron Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft. Add the ground antelope. .Cover and cook until meat is cooked through. Break up meat and add 1 can condensed mushroom soup (I know, but I had no way to get out and get fresh mushrooms, and the grandkids don't like mushrooms). Simmer for two hours Add 1 cup beef broth and let simmer for 30 minutes more. Make a slurry of the flour, with a bit of water. stir thoroughly into the stroganoff. Just before serving, stir in a quarter cup of the crème fraiche. This can be served over pasta, egg noodles, or rice. Oh, and even though I used condensed soup, this tasted really good. The firt picture is the completed result. Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews