Confused about deer parts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I did it! The shoulder roast was wonderful! I guess the doe was pretty young, because I braised it for an hour and a half and it was done! By the time we were ready to eat it was falling apart. I liked the taste and my kids loved it! I seasoned it, browned it in my own home-rendered lard, got it out and softened a lot of onions, garlic, leeks, carrots and cubanelle peppers. Returned the meat, poured some red wine and chicken stock, added salt, pepper, a lot of rosemary and thyme, some juniper berries, peppercorns, a bay leaf, covered it and simmered for one and a half hours. Got the meat out, pureed the sauce with an immersion blender and served it with buttered noodles, green salad and red wine. Wonderful!

Next time I'll make the boneless roast, dry heat, just like rib roast. And when I make a stew I am going to make some dumplings and add wild mushrooms in some form (that Martha and Jean Georges thing intrigued me).

I am looking forward to this winter and all the venison I am going to make! Yum! Thanks a lot, folks, I incorporated a lot of your ideas for a great meal.

It does make wonderful jerky as a matter of fact. But venison these days is FAR from tough and stringy. It is a delicious rich meat--and so lean as to be ultra healthy!!

Back
Top Bottom