Corned Venison Brining using Foodsaver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumpandstir

Senior Cook
I cooked my corned venison roast that I started 2 weeks ago. It was delicious and my whole family loved it. I got comments that they liked it better than corned beef, mainly because it is so lean.

Preparing venison roasts this way is awesome and I don't think I will prepare another one any other way.

Foodsavers hate liquid in the bags so I came up with a method to brine the roast and at the same time use the Foodsaver.

• One venison roast up to 5 lbs
  • 3/4 cup Morton Tender Quick salt (this has the potassium nitrate and nitrite all ready in it)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 6-8 whole cloves
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 3-4 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon pickling spice
  • enough ice cubes to make 1 quart of water (mine were 3/4 ounce cubes so I used 40)
The trick is using the ice cubes. I layered all of this into a custom sized foodsaver bag. I only have 8" bags and wish I had the 11" bags. You can measure it up to your roast and add about 6-10 inches for the ice. Better to be long than short.

Put this in the refrigerator for 2 weeks while turning it every couple of days. There will be a small amount of air in the bag due to air in the ice and some air pockets but it will not be excessive enough to worry about. After 2 weeks cook it just like corned beef. Don't invite my kids over or all 7 of them will clean it up in a moment.

I would love to try this on Antelope, so if you do let me know how it turns out.

I cooked an Antelope roast for freinds and I was the only one who enjoyed it's flavor.I also cooked something else it case that happened.

Okay I must be really dense because it never occurred to me to corn venison. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the idea!

I cooked an Antelope roast for freinds and I was the only one who enjoyed it's flavor.I also cooked something else it case that happened.

I don't do much big game hunting but I have friends that like to shoot them but not eat them, so I usually end up paying for the butcher and get the whole animal. I have wanted to try it on antelope because around here tend to taste like sagebrush. I bet that this would tame that taste quite a bit.

My kids generally enjoy venison. In fact there was a stretch where I made lots of meat loaf from venison beef mix and when I made one with straight beef the kids hated it and told me that something was wrong.

I don't do much big game hunting but I have friends that like to shoot them but not eat them, so I usually end up paying for the butcher and get the whole animal. I have wanted to try it on antelope because around here tend to taste like sagebrush. I bet that this would tame that taste quite a bit.

My kids generally enjoy venison. In fact there was a stretch where I made lots of meat loaf from venison beef mix and when I made one with straight beef the kids hated it and told me that something was wrong.

Antelope in Wyoming are like that, too! I'm the only one who would eat it, so Dad would shoot and butcher, I got the rewards.:)

Princess is a foodsaver a vacuum machine?
I use brisket to make my saltbeef/corned beef and ox tongue in a big plastic pot. I use house bricks that are vacuum sealed in plastic bags to keep the meat submerged, they are also good to press things like terrines.

Do you salt/pickle cabbage for winter?
I never thought of Venison if its the same machine I will give it a bash.

Ps I also confit duck legs using the machine, I put the legs, herbs, garlic and goose fat in the bag, vacuum seal and poach for a few hrs. Thanks Heston B.

Princess is a foodsaver a vacuum machine?
I use brisket to make my saltbeef/corned beef and ox tongue in a big plastic pot. I use house bricks that are vacuum sealed in plastic bags to keep the meat submerged, they are also good to press things like terrines.

Do you salt/pickle cabbage for winter?
I never thought of Venison if its the same machine I will give it a bash.

Ps I also confit duck legs using the machine, I put the legs, herbs, garlic and goose fat in the bag, vacuum seal and poach for a few hrs. Thanks Heston B.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I plan on getting one soon! I think it's the only small appliance I don't have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom