CWS' Venison Stew in the Pressure Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
This is the venison stew I have been making using my Mom's ancient pressure cooker. I assume the pressure is 15 lb.

Ingredients:

2 lb venison stew meat (beef, moose, or elk could also work)
1/2 c chopped onion
2 T oil (I used bacon fat)
1/4 c seasoned flour (marjoram, thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper, parsley flakes)
1 c beer
1/2 c venison (or beef) stock
Splash each of soy/tamari, Lea & Perrins sauce, fish sauce
Splash of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
celery (2-3 stalks, including leaves) (cut)
3-4 carrots (cut)
4 potatoes (peeled and cut in quarters/sixths)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tsp anchovy paste
juice / zest of 1/2 lemon

Directions:

1. Heat pressure cooker. Add bacon fat/oil.
2. Dust venison in seasoned flour (I shake it in a ziplock bag)
3. Brown venison on all sides for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Remove venison from pressure cooker. Add more fat/oil if necessary.
5. Add carrots, onion, minced garlic, anchovy paste, and celery. Saute until onion is soft.
6. Return venison to pressure cooker, add beer and stock.
7. Add bay leaves, season to taste (salt and pepper).
8. Add potatoes (make sure you don't go past the fill line for your pressure cooker).
9. Close cover on pressure cooker securely. Place regulator vent on vent pipe. (I did mention this is an ancient Presto pressure cooker?)
10. Cook for 15 minutes including the time it takes to bring up to pressure (watch the regulator) on medium high - high temp. (It takes about 3 minutes using my Mom's pressure cooker).
11. Turn temp down to med-med. low (keep pressure regulator in the middle).
12. Cool pressure cooker at once (I put it in the sink and run cold water on the side, once the pressure is down, it takes about 30 seconds, I remove the regulator and open the pressure cooker).

If you want to thicken the stew more, remove some of the potatoes, puree them with an immersion blender and add back to the stew.

Top with a bit of lemon juice/zest/fresh parsley. Serve with buttermilk biscuits / fresh bread and a salad. Super easy stew. The meat turns out beautifully tender. My Dad prefers to use red wine. I like to use a dark beer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom