Deer Jerky.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use crushed coriander seeds, dried chilli, salt and pepper on my Biltong and that tastes great. Should work for jerky too. Personally I don't like using to many spices, keep it simple is my motto.

This sounds great! Have you a recipe or pictures?

Hi Kathleen.
This is how I make my biltong.

Ingredients
2kg of sirloin, flank or silverside (cut into 1 inch strips) Meat should have some fat, yellow fat not A grade meat with white fat.
1 cup of white grape vinegar
1 litre of water

Coarse salt
Crushed black pepper
Chilli flakes of choice
roughly ground coriander seed

First put your meat in a flat glass dish, cover with vinegar and water mix. Allow to stand in this mixture for about 3 hours. Pour off the liquid, pat meat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle liberally with spice mix. Hang on meat hooks in a cool room with a fan blowing on the meat. Takes a few days to dry, some people like it completely dry while others like myself prefer it when it's still a bit wet on the inside. Kinda like eating a steak medium. Slice into thin slices and enjoy as is or make a sandwich with fresh white bread and butter.

I've made a biltong dryer by welding a steel "cage" with mesh covering the outside to keep out bugs. I placed a few lines from end to end to hang my hooks on and built a small fan into it.

Thank you for sharing the technique for making it. I've never heard of it, but it sounds really different in a terrific way. How long will it keep?

Pleasure Kathleen
It last for ages, just like jerky does bu it does tend to dry out and have less flavour. I usually carve what I'm not going to use within a few weeks into thin bite size slices then freeze it in ziplock bags. Keeps months that way. When ready to use just thaw and enjoy!

I think we mentioned getting a dehydrator in a thread somewhere. If not, we got a dehydrator.

I have done some fruit stuff in it but today is jerky day. I have 2.75 pounds (after trimming) that I marinated last night with soy and Worcestershire and a spice packet that came with the unit.

It is about 4 hours in right now. Hope this goes well. :)

Mmmm...I thought from the title this was like a Dear John letter...

Sounds really good, Frank. How long till you have jerky???

I had a fancy Toaster/Convection Oven come home with me today.

I had it in for about 10:30 hours. Which was probably about an hour too long. A little too crunchy, but it is good.

I had it in for about 10:30 hours. Which was probably about an hour too long. A little too crunchy, but it is good.

Would a piece of bread or an apple slice in a bag soften it up, like with dried brown sugar?

A couple friends make jerky with ground meat, it's pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom