Deer meat on the Table. Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My mighty hunter just called and said he got a nice doe this morning. This is a four day deer season, so I'm going to be a hunting widow all week-end. I don't know exactly what the limit is, but he's allowed to kill several.
My mouth is already watering for venison stew.

What some of the ways that you are planning to prepare your vension, Constance?

(BTY you must have a big freezer!)

O I envy you constance. My hubby didn't get a deer this year. First time in about 12 years. We will really miss the venison. I love making chili with the ground venison and venison stew.

I only have a small freezer, and as you can see, I'm living in Northern Illinois. I just received a package each of chops and a roast, and two packages of ground meat. I was thrilled to discover that the ground meat has almost NO gamy flavor ... I simply made meatballs according to my usual way, and added them to my usual tomato sauce. They were great. In other words, the venison I've recieved could pass for very lean beef, and could be used in any recipe. I actually MISSED the gamy flavor!!! If you do get gamy venison, then any recipe that has sherry or red wine, sour cream, or hot peppers will complement it nicely. Ground meat goes well in chili; steaks, chops and roasts go well in stroganof recipes, or any wine-or-booze based stews. Since we in the midwest are having a heat wave (after having an autumn of -10 and a foot of snow), marinade with a combination of soy sauce, wine (or vinegar or even a shot or two of booze or can of beer), garlic, and sugar (this can be any version of sugar -- this is where I get rid of half jars of jam, honey, or syrups). Marinate overnight, then grill.

Constance said:
My mighty hunter just called and said he got a nice doe this morning.
I loved the way you said this....I'm sure he would too...Aren't Husbands GREAT?

This is a recipe from one of my cooking bibles....it is from Seasoned with Sun, published by the Junior League of El Paso,Texas. http://www.jlep.org/books.html

Venison Cutlets with Mandarin Oranges
Serves 6

12 Venison cutlets
1/4 cup Butter
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon cognac
1/4 cup mandarin orange juice
1-2 tablespoons currant jelly
1/2 cup mandarin orange sections

Salt and Pepper Cutlets; sauté' in butter over medium high heat, Browning both sides. Remove to heated platter and keep hot. Add cognac, mandarin orange juice and jelly to pan drippings. Mix well, bring to a boil and cook one minute. Add mandarin orange sections to juice mixture. Spoon sauce over meat. Serve immediately. (I double the sauce, and reduce to taste,then add orange sections)

You're right on, Tamale...especially mine.
Your recipe would work great for one of the loins. I don't have cognac, but I do have brandy, which is the same thing, except not from the Cognac region of France. I also have the currant jelly...all I need are the mandarin oranges, and I'll pick them up next time I go to the store.
Thanks for sharing!

Hi, new poster here.

I just tried something for the first time tonight. We were looking for something quick to eat, and with the French bread we got as a dinner gift from a friend. We had to use the bread before it went bad, so that was necessary for the meal. I thought of how my mother always made her own version of Philly Steak Sub and decided to make a few changes according to minimal budget and what we had available. This is what I came up with:

2 small venison steaks, browned and sliced into strips
1 green pepper, sliced into strips
ground red pepper
garlic salt
onion powder
Shredded Mozzarella cheese

I fried the peppers and steak together with a little olive oil on med-low heat. I added the seasonings to my taste preferences, and at the last minute, I added a couple of small handfuls of cheese to melt over everything. I scooped a divit in the bread, and wa-la....venison philly sub....

It was amazing too....

After reading this, I'm a little concerned about Kim's going into the woods with a loaded gun.:LOL:

Tenderloin is wonderful cooked in 'beer' let it simmer till beer is gone and to a dry point, my son taught me this and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!! of course add your favorite seasonings to it as well. i believe he used salt,pepper, onion and garlic powder, lil ground hot pepper and seasoned salt.

Greek Style Venison Steak

Ingredients:
4 venison steaks
3/4 cup sour cream​
1/3 - 1/2 cup of chopped cucumber​
2 tablespoons feta cheese​
2 tablespoons cut olives​
Marinade:​
1/2 cup steak sauce (A-1 or similar)​
1 tablespoon olive oil​
2 tablespoons lemon juice​

Method:

Mix marinade by adding steak sauce, olive oil, and lemon juice; marinate the steaks for approximately two hours. Save some of the marinade, that has not touched the raw meat, as a garnish.​
Grill steaks for 10-12 minutes, until they are cooked through.​
Mix the sour cream and cucumber and add on top of the finished steaks on the plate.​
Add feta cheese and olives as a garnish

RecipeDirect.Net - Your Complete Recipe Source - Home

When I was a kid my dad would make us venison and pancakes. Grill up blackstrap or small steaks just like breakfast meat :) so yummy....also tastes good smothered in maple syrup.

I would make some Game Pies and Biltong! My favourite way of eating Game :)
Homemade sausages, potjiekos and drywors are great too!
I'm a typical South African.
If you want a recipe for any of the above just shout.

'SV' it to 140 F. In the 'SV' Zip lock add some clarified butter and a couple of ounces of good red wine and a spring of fresh rosemary or thyme and a pinch of fresh ground black pepper. No salt. Use any juices in the bag to make a 'reduction'. Lightly dredge the venison in flour after 'SV' and sear it in a med. hot pan all sides until lightly brown. in clarified butter. Lightly tent then rest for ten minutes or so. You'd end up with a finished temp. of about 145+ F. Enough to kill any parasites especially b/c the internal temp sat above 140 F for a period of time.

I'm wet curing a venison loin right now. After it's been in the corning solution for two weeks, I'll roll it in black pepper, smoke it briefly on the grill, then wrap in foil and into goes into a slow oven. The end result will be home made venison pastrami. I added red pepper flakes to a standard corning recipe to give it a bit more kick. I'm seriously looking forward to this.

I would think that lean venison cuts would react well to corning, and be wonderful sliced paper-thin.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We used to eat a lot of venison in Scotland. We marinated it in red wine, a little port or brandy / cognac, thyme, P&Salt,and crushed juniper berries, add some lardons of bacon and then cook in a covered casserole dish in a slow oven about 170c until done. ( Depending on the size of the joint)
Reduce the sauce when cooked with a knob of butter and add some pickled walnuts if you can get them.
Still love it cooked this way even here in France
Serve with mashed potato

recipes PDF

Thought this might be a handy item for you..........
LT

Attachments

• VenisonRecipes.pdf
    388.1 KB · Views: 319
I'm wet curing a venison loin right now. After it's been in the corning solution for two weeks, I'll roll it in black pepper, smoke it briefly on the grill, then wrap in foil and into goes into a slow oven. The end result will be home made venison pastrami. I added red pepper flakes to a standard corning recipe to give it a bit more kick. I'm seriously looking forward to this.

I would think that lean venison cuts would react well to corning, and be wonderful sliced paper-thin.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
My grandma/mom and aunts used to 'corn' venison/moose/elk/antelope. Man those were the days! Your post has my mouth watering. Have you been doing this for a long time? Do you inject the loin?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom