Fried Venison Medallions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My husband cooked the loins from a small, freshly killed doe last night. He sliced the loin into medallions, which he pounded out, dipped in seasoned flour, and fried in a non-stick pan using bacon grease.
Oh, my...it was heaven, as was the gravy he made from the drippings.

Yeah buddy....sounds great...
I had a scare on Monday...went out to my shop to get some frozen chili...In the process I discovered that one of my freezers was out...Luckily the 3 deer (and other stuff) from this season had not reached thawing...We were able to incorperate into the other two freezers and save it. If my wife had not wanted the chili we might not hae been so lucky!!! Bless her heart!:LOL:

I love venison. Next time pull the medallions out of the pan when browned, add some sliced mushrooms, deglaze with some sherry, add some heavy cream and a little dijon mustard. Reduce till thickend add the meat back to the sauce and some sliced green onions or leeks. Toss together and serve with some brown and wild rice.

JDP

And to what JDP said, even add some dried cherries or cranberries. Or make your gravy with whole berry cranberry sauce.

My mouth is watering. We talked about using bacon grease the other day to fry some up but were afraid to try. Next time I will! Yummy!

pdswife said:
My mouth is watering. We talked about using bacon grease the other day to fry some up but were afraid to try. Next time I will! Yummy!

Oh, definitely--adds a great flavor. But don't overcook either.This is a tender piece of meat to begin with that while delicious fixed this way could equally well be rubbed (whole piece) with a good rub, seared in a pan and finish/roasted in the oven @ 425* for about 15 minutes. An elegant dinner!!

I agree... once over cooked it gets hard to chew very quickly. I think I'll make some for dinner!

Man! I am gett'n hungry. We love venison and especially backstraps and loin. Congrats on getting the deer as well. Only one for me this season and most of it is eaten already.

Back
Top Bottom