Game Biltong Recipe TNT Alla Snip :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
My version of good old traditional South African Biltong as Requested by Chief.
Beef can also be used (use flank, silverside, top round or similar cut when using beef)
Beef biltong can be dried with the fat (yellow translucent fat is tastier on biltong than white fat so I would use a good quality "B" grade meat)
Game should be made with lean cuts. Any good quality lean meat.
I've made this recipe with Kudu, Gemsbok, Rooibok, Impala, Ostrich, Buffalo and Beef.

Spice mix for 25 kilograms of meat (55 lbs)

400gr-500gr (14.10-17.6 ounces) of coarse salt (rock salt or any coarse salt that does not contain iodine or anti caking agents.)

125gr (4.4 ounces) of brown sugar

15gr (0.5 ounces) salpetre

20gr (0.7 ounces) Bicarbonate of soda

20gr (0.7 ounces) of freshly ground black pepper

350gr (12.3 ounces) of crushed coriander seeds

1 tsp of ground cloves (leave this out when making beef biltong)

Mix all the spices well and store in an airtight container.

For the biltong:

Start with 1 kilogram of meat (2.2 lbs) till you get the hang of it.

60ml (2.02 fl oz) of brown vinegar

1/25 of the spices

Slice meat in roughly 1 inch thick slices (against the grain). Pat meat dry with paper toweling to remove blood and moisture.
Sprinkle spices into a flat glass dish to dip the meat slices in. Sprinkle your cleaned and prepared meat with half of the vinegar. Dip meat in the spices and massage into the meat. Now lay meat on a tray or in a flat dish and refridgerate uncovered for 12-18 hours.

Mix the other half of the vinegar with 8 cups of bottled water (or cooled boiled water)

Dip the meat in the water and vinegar mix to remove excess salt.
Hang the meat on butchers hooks in a cool spot (like a garage) infront of a fan.
Game biltong is best when completely dry. Beef biltong is good when still slightly wet. It will be only just soft to the touch if you want it to be slightly pink in the middle.
Once it is firm it will be fully dry.
It takes about 2-3 days to dry. Check daily since times will depend on the weather and strenght of your fan.

If planning on making biltong often I would suggest buying or building a dryer like this one:

images

My one looks a bit different to this. Just a metal framed box with mesh on all sides to keep out bugs. It has a fan built into it and lines to hang the biltong and butchers hooks. My dad made it.

Enjoy! Slice biltong and eat as is or use on sandwiches, in salad, in quiches etc.
Use your imagination!

Note: Chilli flakes are great in this recipe too for those who like a bit of a kick!

Last edited:
My version of good old traditional South African Biltong as Requested by Chief.
Beef can also be used (use flank, silverside, top round or similar cut when using beef)
Beef biltong can be dried with the fat (yellow translucent fat is tastier on biltong than white fat so I would use a good quality "B" grade meat)
Game should be made with lean cuts. Any good quality lean meat.
I've made this recipe with Kudu, Gemsbok, Rooibok, Impala, Ostrich, Buffalo and Beef.

Spice mix for 25 kilograms of meat (55 lbs)

400gr-500gr (14.10-17.6 ounces) of coarse salt (rock salt or any coarse salt that does not contain iodine or anti caking agents.)

125gr (4.4 ounces) of brown sugar

15gr (0.5 ounces) salpetre

20gr (0.7 ounces) Bicarbonate of soda

20gr (0.7 ounces) of freshly ground black pepper

350gr (12.3 ounces) of crushed coriander seeds

1 tsp of ground cloves (leave this out when making beef biltong)

Mix all the spices well and store in an airtight container.

For the biltong:

Start with 1 kilogram of meat (2.2 lbs) till you get the hang of it.

60ml (2.02 fl oz) of brown vinegar

1/25 of the spices

Slice meat in roughly 1 inch thick slices (against the grain). Pat meat dry with paper toweling to remove blood and moisture.
Sprinkle spices into a flat glass dish to dip the meat slices in. Sprinkle your cleaned and prepared meat with half of the vinegar. Dip meat in the spices and massage into the meat. Now lay meat on a tray or in a flat dish and refridgerate uncovered for 12-18 hours.

Mix the other half of the vinegar with 8 cups of bottled water (or cooled boiled water)

Dip the meat in the water and vinegar mix to remove excess salt.
Hang the meat on butchers hooks in a cool spot (like a garage) infront of a fan.
Game biltong is best when completely dry. Beef biltong is good when still slightly wet. It will be only just soft to the touch if you want it to be slightly pink in the middle.
Once it is firm it will be fully dry.
It takes about 2-3 days to dry. Check daily since times will depend on the weather and strenght of your fan.

If planning on making biltong often I would suggest buying or building a dryer like this one:

images

My one looks a bit different to this. Just a metal framed box with mesh on all sides to keep out bugs. It has a fan built into it and lines to hang the biltong and butchers hooks. My dad made it.

Enjoy! Slice biltong and eat as is or use on sandwiches, in salad, in quiches etc.
Use your imagination!

Note: Chilli flakes are great in this recipe too for those who like a bit of a kick!

Yum. Thanks Snip. And I tried calling PAG, to let her know you asked about her, and she wasn't out of bed yet.:ohmy: Told her I'd call her again later.

I'll be making one of those drying boxes.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yum. Thanks Snip. And I tried calling PAG, to let her know you asked about her, and she wasn't out of bed yet.:ohmy: Told her I'd call her again later.

I'll be making one of those drying boxes.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's my pleasure Chief :)

Making a biltong dryer is easy! If you just make a metal or wooden frame. Cover all sides with fine mesh. Suspend steel wire lines to hang the biltong from (like a mini clothes line lol!) Buy or make hooks for the biltong and build a suitable size fan into it.

I also like making Chilli Bites or Sticks. Just cut meat into strips and add chilli flakes to the spice. Leave the fat on for this. And it's very important to go for yellow fat. The flavour is much better!
I will give you a Drywors recipe when you're up and running and want to try something else. Drywors is sausage that is dried and cured in the same way as biltong :yum:
Have a great evening and send my regards to PAG!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom