Help with Buffalo meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
Do you treat ground bufalo meat just as you would ground beef, or do you have to add some fat to like you do to venison? When ou use buffalo as hamberger meat do you stretch it with some type of filler? I saw some in the store and wanted to try it but didn't want ruin it by preparing it the wrong way.

Ground buffalo, straight up makes a great burger, but I really like it with chopped onions, garlic, a bit of worcestershire and spices.

We fry/grill buffalo meat straight up - just like hamburger. The meat isn't as lean as venison or elk. Sometimes we mix in some liquid smoke before grilling.

You dont have to do anything different with it. It may have a real wild taste to it so adding soya sauce to it will pull that taste out a bit.

It is a very lean meat so depending on your likes.....do as you wish......hope you enjoy it

had some last week - just rubbed a little melted butter on both sides aand salt & lots of pepper and grilled. Just wonderful!!
img_415687_0_76d93d2c2383f0e09d09bbbc72b748eb.jpg

cjs said:
had some last week - just rubbed a little melted butter on both sides aand salt & lots of pepper and grilled. Just wonderful!!
img_415757_0_76d93d2c2383f0e09d09bbbc72b748eb.jpg
and, imo, you'll need that butter, because bison has very little fat to it.

Jean, you made all that and didn't invite ME? :wacko:

:) Also its better if you only cook it no more than medium because there is so little fat.We eat alot of bison here as we have several large herds here on the ranch Ted Turner owns the ranch and got rid of all the cows.We had our own original herd when turner bought the ranch he shipped in more bison.
I sometimes mix a little light olive oil into the meat or some people like to add just a bit of ground beef in to add some fat.Or you can mix in a little BBQ Sauce.
I love bison it really is good not gamey at all.

I like adding a little chopped bacon to the bison meat (along with the onions and seasonings. That provides a little of the much-needed fat to hold the burgers together. ;)

Back
Top Bottom