ISO Buffalo/Bison recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this one on a pretty interesting site www.thebuffaloshop.com

They have recipes for all sorts of Bison/buffalo ideas... from sandwiches to appetizers to soups and chili's... here's one that I liked.

Southern Fried Bison

3 lbs Buffalo steak
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 bouillon cubes or can of beef broth
water
1 heaping Tbl Lipton's onion Soup mix
2 heaping tsp cornstarch

Mix black pepper and flour in shaker bag and coat steaks. Preheat oil in deep skillet. Brown both sides of steak. Remove from pan and set aside. Pour off excess oil. Return to pan and add onion, garlic, bouillon or broth, and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add soup mix and stir. Add meat, then cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove bison and make gravy by mixing cornstarch with 1 cup cold water. Stir until desired thickness. Return steaks to gravy and serve.

Granted - I think frying it may not be the best introduction to the true flavor. If I can run across a good grilled or slow cook recipe - I'll let you know.

My immediate inclination would be to say cook it on the grill like a beef roast - that way you can really get a flavor for the bison.

This site may interest you also - it's a chain of restaurants owned by Ted Turner that features bison dishes.

http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/

(Interesting fact - he's the largest private owner of bison in the US).

buffalo/bison can be used in any beef dish as a lower fat and lower cholesterol replacement. it will stay redder longer, so don't try to cook it well done or it will be way overcooked.
i have had roasts, sausages/hot dogs, and burgers made from pennsylvania bison, and i have to say that except for prime rib and filet mignon, i prefer it over beef.
just remember that it will cook up dryer as it has less fat, less marbling, so it is better cooked reare to medium rare, or cooked in liquid or sauce.

Bucky, that's pretty much what I told my friend. At my job, we just did a Tenderloin of Bison gourmet dinner for a couple different groups. It was really good. To bad I didn't pinch the recipe :(

Back
Top Bottom