ISO Favorite way to cook farmed pheasant legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I haven't eaten pheasant in ages. I was given two pheasant legs (complete) from a farmed pheasant. I was thinking an asian-inspired recipe, but was wondering if any DCers would share their favorite way to cook pheasant legs?

I haven't eaten pheasant in ages. I was given two pheasant legs (complete) from a farmed pheasant. I was thinking an asian-inspired recipe, but was wondering if any DCers would share their favorite way to cook pheasant legs?

I've never cooked a pheasant leg on it's own. I expect braising would be a good idea as pheasants can be dry or if you wanted to roast them I'd probably wrap them in a couple of rashers of streaky bacon.

Was it a farmed pheasant raised for shooting or a pheasant farmed for the table? If the former it's age could be an issue or if the latter it may not taste very "pheasant-y" as it probably won't have hung for sufficient time.

Anything highly seasoned might detract from the flavour of the legs although if the pheasant hasn't been well hung this might be a good thing.

I was going to suggest braising as did MC. When I lived in Scotland a very popular recipe that I used to cook for our friends was to braise them in cider, just to cover the meat, with a couple of shallots, and some chopped bacon cubes and apples peeled and cut into quarters and a sprig or two of thyme. Just before serving, stir some cream through and serve with mashed potatoes.

Pheasant legs can be very tough> Just as wild turkeys legs. I like them pressure cooked for about 15 minutes then you can fry them and add what ever sauce or flavor you like with them. Once cooked, you can BBQ, braise,stew, or just bread and fry ( which I enjoy) and dip in marinara sauce.

Back
Top Bottom