ISO Rabbit Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always wanted to try rabbit, but wouldn't have the first clue where to get one. I see bunnies hopping around the yard all the time, but I really don't want to gut and skin the thing. I like my meat to come in packages lol.
Ask in the meat department of your local supermarket. Here in L.A. they will order a rabbit for you, pick up next day.

Greg Who Cooks said:
Ask in the meat department of your local supermarket. Here in L.A. they will order a rabbit for you, pick up next day.

Huh, who knew? I'll have to do that. Bet a domestic raised rabbit would be good on the grill...

Last edited:
Huh, who knew? I'll have to do that. Bet a domestic raised rabbit would be good on the grill...

My mother used to order them from Cub Foods here. Also I do not really thing grill is the way to go. Rabbits are tough, in my opinin, and do much better as a stew.

I would probably be more likely to braise it. If I'm going to try rabbit I would like to really get to taste the different flavor. Especially since I'm unlikely to make it often, since I would have to special order it.

Supermarket rabbit doesn't taste all that much different to me from chicken dark meat pieces, and the texture is a bit different too. I used to like it and cooked it fairly often but much less often now because it's just not out on display and I either forget about it entirely or don't want to order it. I have a kind of mentality that I want to drive to the supermarket and decide right there what to have for dinner, then buy it and go home and cook it. I often don't have the patience to plan ahead.

My typical rabbit recipe was coated in seasoned flour, browned in oil, then simmered covered (braised) in wine. Usually had onions, mushrooms, maybe other vegetables included.

I don't know why supermarkets quit stocking them. Maybe people got the idea that rabbit is yucky food, or maybe supermarkets got the idea that people believe that. Maybe it's like why our lamb is so tasteless compared to decades ago.

Maybe one day they'll just have beefurkenork, a recombinant DNA animal having none of the qualities of beef, turkey, chicken or pork that make them identifiably different tastes. They could grow beefurkenorks in sausage shaped containers and just cut off some of the bottom every day while they feed the head end. Beefurkenorks wouldn't have any bones because bones are too much a bother and everybody wants skinless, boneless, white meat.

Yes I'm a bit annoyed. It seems like every year we have fewer natural products, and more products made in chemical factories.

Greg Who Cooks said:
You seem to be ISO the meaning of ISO! ;)

Why did you stop?

My biggest reason for stopping is that I probably just forgot rabbit since I don't see it in the meat section any more.

Well thanks for nothing lol. I googled it ;)

Well we still have the basic problem, the first thing in any rabbit recipe is to get a rabbit.

Possibilities:

(1) Find a rabbit.

(1a) Find a rabbit dead of natural causes. Not good, rabbits probably die of predation or disease more often than from natural causes. And anyway, if a rabbit died of old age it would probably be tough. And you'd have to find it before it spoiled.

(1b) Find a rabbit dead of accident: Road kill! Same problem, gotta find it before it spoils, and also concern about contamination from road surface and tires. Note that rabbit might be partially gone due to coyotes, crows and buzzards.

(1c) Find a rabbit dead of predation: Biggest problem here, do you want to fight a starving, hungry coyote over a freshly killed rabbit? Maybe even a rabid coyote? ;)

I think finding a dead rabbit can probably be ruled out for all of the reasons above. :cool:

(2) Kill a rabbit.

(2a) Run him down with your car! As I said above, we have a ccontamination problem between tire and pavement, even if you freshly washed your tires before going out on a kill run. :)wink:)

(2b) Shoot him! This probably works okay in some areas. Before you get too happy about knocking off a rabbit for the cost of a .22 short (pretty cheap even if you miss 99 rabbits before you bag Thumper) there's a concern that your dead rabbit might have Myxomatosis (a common rabbit disease in many parts of the world).

(3) Raise a rabbit.

(3a) They're cute. Probably the best advice is to not give them names. Anyway you have a potential problem in finding the best way to kill them when they get big enough to eat. (Run them down with your car? See above...)

(3b) Kill Thumper? Yeah, right... Good lesson for your kids: we eat what we kill.

(4) Order rabbit at a restaurant.

(4a) Well this forum is about cooking. It would be called Discuss Restaurants if we were all into dining out.

(5) Buy a rabbit!

(5a) Buy a rabbit at a pet store. Okay probably very expensive, maybe we shouldn't even to there with this discussion. ;)

(5b) I wish we still had rabbit between the chicken and the pork. Pork is the new white meat. Rabbit is the new/old dark chicken.

(5c) Order a rabbit. As I said earlier I have a bit of a problem wanting to drive to the supermarket and buy dinner and go home and cook it. I guess any future rabbit I eat will have to be ordered.

So every rabbit recipe starts out with, "first get a rabbit..."

Got rabbit? :)

Last edited:
So far today, beagle and I have spotted at minimum 10 adult rabbits. At least 4 were in my yard, and 6 more on our walk. I suspect we will have a nest somewhere like we had last year. Help yourselves!

image-1783707068.jpg

Last edited:
So far today, beagle and I have spotted at minimum 10 rabbits. At least 4 were in my yard, and 6 more on our walk. I suspect we will have a nest somewhere like we had last year. Help yourselves!

(6) Have somebody give you a rabbit. :)

(6a) Have somebody give you a live rabbit. (Problem: how do you kill it? Gotta kill it before you cook it--unless you cook it live--but that could be an ethical problem...) ;) just kidding

(6b) Have somebody give you a freshly killed rabbit. So, DL... How are you at killing the critters? :)

(6c) Best solution of all: Everybody gets invited to DL's house where she will serve us all a nice rabbit dinner! Yay!!! :chef:

Greg Who Cooks said:
(6) Have somebody give you a rabbit. :)

(6a) Have somebody give you a live rabbit. (Problem: how do you kill it? Gotta kill it before you cook it--unless you cook it live--but that could be an ethical problem...) ;) just kidding

(6b) Have somebody give you a freshly killed rabbit. So, DL... How are you at killing the critters? :)

(6c) Best solution of all: Everybody gets invited to DL's house where she will serve us all a nice rabbit dinner! Yay!!! :chef:

Sure. BYOSG! (Bring your own shotgun....)

I'm not a hunter but I presume you'd want to use a small rifle to kill rabbits. (.22 ? I've heard that rabbits sometimes "disappear" upon encountering a shotgun blast.) Anyway there's still the health of the rabbits to care about. (Their health before being killed, not after. I presume their health after being killed is not good!)

I think I'll stick with supermarket rabbit. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom