ISO Wild Game Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
It's that time of year and chicken is now taking the back seat to pheasant, grouse, woodcock, ducks and geese. Does any one have any unique recipes to share. Don't bother with the Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and game, then bake for 3 hours or put in the crock pot all day. Let's see some creativity. I will start:

1. Pheasant Brucetta ( a great way to use the legs)

* Simmer legs with a mer poix of celery, onion and carrot, black pepper corns and a bay leaf. When tender peel the meat from the bones and shred. Strain stock and use for soup or sauces.

* Dice and brown off some bacon. Set bacon on side and cook diced mushrooms and mined garlic in the bacon fat (add evo or butter if needed).

* Return bacon to the pan along with the pheasant. Toss in some diced sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, sliced leek, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper if you like a little heat.

* Place on top of thinly sliced Italian bread and top with fresh grated parmesan. Broil until cheese is golden. You can serve it like that or drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar. :chef:

I have more if there is interest.

Happy Hunting,

JDP

Partridge, hunter's style
4 partridge
s/p
4 cups shredded cabbage
4 slices of bacon cooked, crumbled
16 lg cabbage leaves
2 Tlb buter
1 cup chicken broth
4 carrots, sliced
1/4 tsp. crushed thyme
1/4 tsp. crushed tarragon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp papper
Sprinkle bird inside and out with s/p. Combine shredded cabbage and bacon. Spoon one fourth of the mixture into cavity of each bird. Wrap each with 4 cabbage leaves and fasten with string. Place in a large skillet. Add butter, chicken broth and remaining ingredients. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 to 30 min. or until tender. Remove string and cabbage leaves. Serve with sauce in pan. Serves 4.

I found this recipe in a wild game book I have by Remington. I'm thinking I will try this recipe with Cornish game hens.

Thumper that sounds very good and up in MN you have a bunch of grouse. If you don't hunt find someone who does and offer to cook if they bring the grouse.

Here's another one:

Venison Carpaccio

1 back strap (loin) of venison slightly frozen. Thinly slice 1/8 inch (slightly freezing makes this easier.

Fresh Mozzerella thinly sliced

Ripe Roma tomatoes thinly sliced

On a platter lay a bed of mixed field greens (Spring mix gives a nice bitter taste). Start by laying venison, tomato, mozz, and continue that pattern down the platter. Top with fresh chiffonade of basil, balsamic vinegar and capers and fresh ground pepper.

Eat with fingers picking up a little greens and fold like a taco...what a treat.

It's better to be in the woods thinking about God then sitting in church thinking about hunting.

JDP

Here's one recipe I'd love to try once fresh game becomes fully available again.

Pheasant - mushroom soup

Ingredients
* 7 Oz of cooked pheasant meat
* 10 Oz of wild mushrooms (porchini, cantharels,...)
* 7 Oz of potato's
* 2 cloves of garlic
* 4 cups game broth
* 1/2 cup double cream
* butter
* 2 tbspoons chopped parsley (divided)

preparation:
Dice the potato's and quarter the mushrooms.
Allow mushrooms, garlic, potato's and 1/2 parsley to sweat in some butter.
Add game broth and simmer for 1 hr. Season with p&s.
Remove from heat and stirr the meat and the cream in. Re-heat the soup for a few minutes over low fire. Sprinkle with some parsley when serving.

JDP, doesn't seem to be as many grouse here as there was several years ago. Usually see some but have only seen 2 this year. I have only heard one drumming also. Use to hear that all the time. I have several more recipes and will post some more later on. Your venison recipe sounds really good and one that would go good at the hunting shack.

I got a couple of pheasants today. Here's an appetizer using the breasts.

Slice the thin part of the breast into strips and 1 in chunks for the thick part. Make a small slice into the middle of the chunks to form a pocket.

Marinate the meat in olive oil, lime juice, real chili powder (not the blend), cilantro and a touch of cumin for a couple of hours.

Seed and slice a jalapeno.

Wrap the slices of pheasant around a slice of jalapeno, then wrap the whole thing with bacon and secure with a toothpick ( rumaki style). With the chunks slide jalepeno into the pocket. Then grill or broil.

That sounds so good JDP, bet it could be done with venison too. Lucky you on getting the pheasants. We don't have those running around here.Might see one once in awhile that someone has raised and got away.

Personally I don't think a game pie can be surpassed. But I make it differently everytime.....usually a large amount of red wine is involved....and then I become less sure....

The pheasant recipes look particularly interesting. Its my least favurite game and there are so many about.....I end up giving the ones I have been given away.

One thing that I have (or at least try to have) once a year is fried venison liver and onions. The liver must be fresh that day. Sliced 1/4 in (5 - 6 mm), dredged in flour and fried in butter in a black iron skillet. Serve hot with onions that have been lightly fried in butter. Serve with salt and pepper and a dark beer.

But one of my favorite recipes involves venison ribs. Most hunters will waste this part of the deer but it is worthwhile to save, especially if you do your own butchering.

Clean and place in a large roaster and subrmerge as much as possible in your favorite barbeque sauce. A friend of mine used to make his own and it involved among other things maple syrup, mustard, honey, beer, ketchup and other ingredients and spices. But I digress. Comericially prepapred sauce will work too. Pick one you like. Cook the ribs covered in a slow oven (300o F) for about four hours, until the meat falls off the bone. Include baked beans and cole slaw and possibly some french fried potatoes. Brother we are talking about some good eating here. One of the best parts is you have to make so much you have to share it with good friends.

Venison Ribs

Your right most people throw them away and they are fantastic. You just need to make sure they are good and hot when served. When they cool they the fat gets fairly tallowy.

great to see we have fellow game connisuers.

JDP

Ingredients for Venison With Pumpkin

• 2½ pounds venison, cut in 4 pieces
  • 3 onions, peeled, sliced
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 clove of cloves
  • 1 pumpkin, small, peeled, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
Instructions

1. Put all ingredients in a kettle.
  2. Cover.
  3. Let cook slowly for about 45 minutes.
  4. Then serve.

This is my favorite ( so far) LOL!:)

1 -1 1/2 pounds venison medallion sliced 3/8 inch thick
and then gently pounded to 1/4 inch thickness

salt and pepper to taste

small amount of flour

2 TBS butter

3 TBS EVOO

1/2 cup Red wine or Marsala

1/2 cup beef broth

2 TBS Butter

Season the meat with salt and pepper and then lightly dust with the flour.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the meat.
Brown on both sides for two minutes each. Then remove from the pan.

Pour off most of the juices. Add the wine and 1/4 cup of the beef broth. Boil for 1-2 minutes.. Be sure to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the meat to the ban and cover. Simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes. Baste meat every so often.

Remove meat and add two tablespoons of butter to sauce. Mix well and pour over meat.

OH YUMMMY!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom