Looking for suggestions of recipes for baked duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deuces

Assistant Cook
I finally found a source for whole ducks, and wish to bake one using a recipe both me and my cat can enjoy. That would mean no onions, garlic or hot peppers. Any suggestions? Links? Thanks.

Here is a classic recipe for duck à l'orange (roast duck with orange sauce). This is a long article that describes in detail how to roast a duck and make the sauce; there's a link to the recipe in the article.

You don't have to make the sauce, but the article gives you great information about how to roast the duck properly. If you can't use certain ingredients, just leave them out.

https://www.seriouseats.com/duck-a-lorange

The best whole duck that I ever made was in an electric rotisserie. It was just very simply seasoned with salt and pepper, and then roasted in the machine.

The skin was beautifully crispy all around, and the fat rendered really well making the meat super moist.

If your cat is anything like mine, any kind of spice, sauce, or seasoning will put them off of it.

for you and the cat is problematic.
human level salt seasoning is not recommended for pets -

some herbs/spices - especially the allium family - can be fatal for cats.
see
https://www.litter-robot.com/blog/14-herbs-safe-for-cats/

perhaps the best route may be to whack a chunk off the duck for the cat - baked without any salt/seasonings, do the rest for human tastes....

Chief's Honey Basted Charcoal Grilled Duck

There are few flavors that mary together like smoke, honey, salt, pepper, and duck. Some people like to add orange or lemon jui9ce to the honey. Me, I might add a bit of ground ginger.

The method is simple, and can easily be adapted to a pellet, or gas grill. For duck, I like to use either maple, or white oak as the smoking wood.

Tip: Save the drippings to fry potatoes in to go with this duck.

Ingredients:
4 lb. whole duck
1/2 cup honey (a dark, rich honey is preferred)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbs. Kosher salt1 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
dry wood chinks
2 cup water

Aromatics:
1 head garlic
1 stalk celery cut into 2 inch lengths,
1 medium size yellow onion cut into 2 halves, skin removed

Tools:
Charcoal kettle grill
BBQ tongs
Charcoal igniter
Disposable aluminum loaf pan

About wood chips/chunks: Many people say to soak wood in water for a half hour or longer. I've found that soaking wood creates a somewhat acricd smoke flavor. For best results, use dry wood, either is a smoke box, or on top of the charcoal.

Thaw duck and allow it to come to room temperature. Remove any giblets, sauce packet, and the neck from the body cavity. Cut away the excess fat from both the neck, and cavity opening. Save it to render for frying potatoes. Rinse duck inside and out under cold water. Dry thoroughly with paper towels.

Mix honey with an equal amount of water. Whisk in the ginger. Pierce the duck skin all over , at an angle, to allow the fat to drain off as it cooks. Take care not to pierce the flesh, as the meat will dry you if you do.

Place the duck, breast side up into a V-rack. Paint the entire bird with the honey mixture. Sprinkle the whole bird with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the aromatics. Fold the skin over the cavity openings and secure with bamboo skewers.

Place charcoal into two beds on either side of the kettle. Light the charcoal, let heat until a white ash forms on all of the charcoal. Cover the hot coals with the wood chips/chunks. Place the drip pan between the charcoal beds. Fill the drip pan with the 2 cups of water. Put the cooking grate on top. Place the duck directly over the drip an. Open all vents to full open position. Cover, roast for 15 minutes. Baste with more of the honey liquid. Cover. Cook 15 minutes more. Baste again, and cook for 15 final minutes. Remove from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

Tip: You can grill sides at the same time, such as carrots, orange halves, asparagus, potatoes, etc.

Carve by removing the breast halves from each side, then slicing against the grain with a sharp knife. This will give everyone some of that crispy-sweet skin. Remove the legs, and wings. The back meat is also quite tasty, especially the muscle tissue just behind the legs, and wing joints. And the carcass makes great soup.

BBQ duck; oh yeh, that's some good eating. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I finally found a source for whole ducks, and wish to bake one using a recipe both me and my cat can enjoy. That would mean no onions, garlic or hot peppers. Any suggestions? Links? Thanks.

Are you not using onions, garlic or hot peppers because you don't like them or the cat?

In either case, even tho they may be added to the pan for roasting a duck, does not mean you have to actually eat those things after roasting. Strain your liquids. I don't believe the flavours left behind will harm either you or your cat and will really actually enhance the flavour of the meat.

Also, just don't let the cat eat the skin, crisp it up for yourself = yummy. Cat should be satisfied with the juicy meat alone.

:LOL: ps, FYI, you roast meat and bake bread, but you bake a Wellington. :wacko::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom