Pheasant with Roasted Garlic and Lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Oh man, does this sound good. I just wish I had some pheasant!

Pheasant with Roasted Garlic and Lemon
Yields: 2 servings

1 Pheasant, cut into serving quarters
¼ c Olive oil
12 Garlic cloves; unpeeled
2 c Chicken stock
¼ c Fresh lemon juice
½ t Salt; or to taste
zest of one lemon, in large strips
1/3 c Sugar
½ c Water
¼ c Whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat the oil in a 12”oven-proof skillet over high heat on top of stove, add the garlic and sauté until the skins are a medium golden color. Add pheasant and brown on both sides. If the garlic turns black, remove it from the skillet. When the pheasant is brown, replace the garlic. Without pouring off the fat, add broth and juice. Sprinkle with salt, bring to a boil and place, uncovered, in the oven for 50 minutes, turning once.
To make candied zests: Cut the lemon zest into ¼” strips and place in a small saucepan. Add sugar and water, bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer gently until the water is nearly evaporated and zests look shiny and translucent. Strain zests, discard any extra syrup and set zests aside. Transfer the skillet with the pheasant to the stove top, remove the pheasant to a serving platter, add the cream and place over high heat. Reduce the liquid until it has a shiny consistency. Arrange the pheasant pieces on a serving platter, scrape the garlic cloves and glaze over it and garnish with candied zests. Serve immediately.

Allen, I've never eaten or cooked pheasant, but I've always wanted to give it a try. The recipe looks luscious. Pardon a dumb question, but can I find pheasant easily at the market? Perhaps I should do some research on whether pheasant needs any special prep work. (Does it taste like duck, which I love.) Dumb question #2 or #3 - I always hear of pheasant under glass. You're really gonna laugh at me now, but where do I find the glass. :rolleyes: Thank you.

Last edited:
Answer #1: I don't think so. I've never seen it at a supermarket. You might want to google for an internet supplier that will deliver. Otherwise, see if anyone in your area hunts pheasant and is willing to part with one.

Answer #2 and #3: I've never heard of it, so I can't really answer that.

Back
Top Bottom