Scottish pheasant dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
1 kilo pheasant, preferably hung for at least 4-5 days
2 tbs oil (I use sunflower)
5 fl oz of a malt whisky such as Bowmore
1 onion, chopped finely
1 tbs juniper berries
Freshly ground sea salt/pepper
5 fl oz game stock (or water, at a pinch!)
4 flu oz whipping cream
Some lemon juice

Preheat oven to Gas mark 5/375F/190C

Heat the oil in a le creuset casserole or similar. brown pheasant on all sides. Remove and add the onion and cook till golden. Put the pheasant back into pan and pour over half the whisky. Flame and when the flames subside, add stock (or water), juniper and season. Cover and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until tender. This is just a 'guestimate' on timing, it may take up to an hour, depending on age of the bird. Remove and joint bird into two breasts and two legs.

Put joints on a heated plate, cover with foil to keep warm. Strain the cooking liquor and return to pan. Add remaining whisky, cream and lemon juice and bring to boil. Reduce to a thick-ish consistency. Return pheasant to the dish and serve with creamed potatoes.

Your Scottish Pleasant Dish sounds very nice and I am sure that many members of DC with try it out.

Have a wonderful day.

Jill and Jolie

OMG, Ish! that sounds so Fabulous... and I was looking for something a bit different to make for a special dinner party in a couple of weeks! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :chef:

I hope you enjoy the recipe.

We eat a lot of game birds during the season, including the occasional ptarmigan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom