Seared Bear on angel hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
Since a good portion of my diet is wild game, i thought i'd give you a recipe i had just concocted this year.

(Depending on size of family)

4 boneless bear steaks 1/2" (loin)
12 slices of beef hard salami 3/steak
1 sprig ea. of sage and rosemary
Cooking string or toothpicks
16 oz box angel hair

Sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1 tblsp butter
4-5 cranks of pepper
few leaves of sage and rosemary
small bunch fresh italian parsley (about 1/4 cup)

Start by laying steaks out and very lightly salt and pepper the up side only for now. Mince sage and rosemary and apply to the up side as well and arrange the salami to go the length of the steak, overlapping is not a problem.
Start rolling steaks tightly and tie or poke with toothpick to hold and lightly salt and pepper again. Heat oven to 375F and in an oven safe searing pan, add a light olive oil and start to sear steaks all the way around, on top and bottom as well.
Once fully seared, put in oven for 10-15 minutes and start mincing sage, rosemary, and italian parsley.
Start water for angel hair now because the pasta only takes a few minutes to cook after water boils.
When steaks are done, pull from oven, platter, and cover with foil or plastic to rest.
Add pasta to water.
Put pan on stove top and deglaze with the butter and heavy cream while scraping bottom of pan and add sage, rosemary, and parsley. Mix for a few minutes to get flavors well combined and turn off heat.
Drain pasta and plate accordingly. Put steaks on bed of pasta and finally, pour sauce over steak and pasta.

I also use this recipe for other larger game, where steaks are mostly of a larger (longer) size.

While i use beef hard salami, i believe you can use a pork hard salami with similar results? However, i am not certain of this because i have never used it, nor does my beef salami contain pork or pork fat.

Peace

Sounds good...
!!
Hunting season starts around here next month. Sure hope
Paulie brings me some meat this time!!

BBQ Fish said:
Thanks pdswife:)

I Have also tried this with moose, elk, and mule deer, with very tasty results!:chef:

Deer and elk are my favorite.
That's what I'm crossing my fiingers for.:)

Hi guys,

I ask this with genuine curiosity, as I have never tried it, can you please describe the taste of bear? (Thanks :))

I would love to.. but, it's been so long ( 20) years at least since I've had any.
I just remember really liking it. Try it if you get the chance.

I too, am curious as to what it tastes like. However, I do have one little tidbit to pass on. Bears, like raccoons and pigs, eat trash. As a result, they can and do carry the trichonella worm (trichonosys). For this, you need to cook any bear or raccoon meat well-done.

The only way i can describe the taste is a sweet, tender taste all of it's own with a gamy kick (the beef salami i use takes quite a bit of the game taste away). Bear meat actually has a high fat content throughout, which isn't bad by any means because it's mostly protien, but low in fat and calories. However, it can actually spoil rather quickly because of it.

I've also found that if you age bear meat, it gets dry and tough, with a nasty sort of tinge to it.:yuk:

Hope this helps:mrgreen:

Bear has a huge flavor range, depending on what it's been eating. I really like bear that has had ample access to lots of berries and such, but if I see local bears eating mainly fish, I stay away - the meat tastes almost rancid to me.

ramydam said:
Bear has a huge flavor range, depending on what it's been eating. I really like bear that has had ample access to lots of berries and such, but if I see local bears eating mainly fish, I stay away - the meat tastes almost rancid to me.

I believe that to be true with all game and what they eat.

Okay - I have to jump in here - I have to admit that the idea of serving big, burly bear with dainty little angel hair pasta, gave me pause - and made me giggle just a little! I'd imagine it with something like papardelle

marmalady said:
Okay - I have to jump in here - I have to admit that the idea of serving big, burly bear with dainty little angel hair pasta, gave me pause - and made me giggle just a little! I'd imagine it with something like papardelle

Marm - let's face it - I had the same picture - bear sitting on top of delicate angel hair - and it is rather amusing. I would think more along the lines of fettucini or papparedelle or a wide egg noodle -but never delicae angel hair!!!

Marmalady and Kitchenelf,

I have actually tried many different pasta's with this, but found that a larger/wider pasta takes away from the texture and taste. Preparing bear this way practically melts in your mouth, and a larger noodle would be left in your mouth after only chewing a few times. Alternates to angel hair would be an 'al dente' capellini or vermicelli and that would be it.

Now as for the papparedelle (and to give you other expierences/tests with pasta), i have used that with duck and pheasant, but now thought the fettucini i tried to be sort of dense and not the right texture. Also i have used pizzoccheri and fettuce, (with duck and pheasant) that had a great balance between taste and texture.
The fettuce i used was generally an egg noodle, and the pizzoccheri is a buckwheat noodle, that i bought fresh from an Italian store. Although, i was also told the difference between fettuce and fettuccine when i first bought it was the texture and the egg, and that's all (i knew those beautiful little Italian ladies were not going to give up any other info than what already had).:mrgreen: However, there was an obvious difference in width and look right off the get go, which the fettuce has a deeper, darker color than fettuccine, and taste wise, there is egg in it.

Hopefully this explains the method to my madness?:w00t2:
:chef:

marmalady said:

Don't forget to raise one's pinky when ingesting the bear meat! One must observe protocol, after all! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom