Squirrel Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is getting worse and worse....
ojoj.gif

Nothing constructive to add to this conversation except it's the funniest thing I've read all week. Put my coffee all over the monitor again! Our friend said that squirell tastes like pigeon one time while we were discussing food and gave me that look like I should know what pigeon tastes like?????

Oh.
My.
God.
Would you be killing these wild, possibly rabid squirrels yourself or can you buy them in stores?

One of the best moves I ever made was..........we were new to the neighboorhood and our township trustee stopped by to introduce himself. I was just finishing up making some creamed squirrel and home made biscuits and invited him to join us. He took the BEST care of us ever after. The squirrels had been given to us by a hunter. These experiences were a revelation to me, I had not known a person could eat meat without going to the grocery store before that. We were given all kinds of meat back them by hunters trying to get into our good graces, we were land owners, and we ate evey morsel given to us.

Hey Lucky, I doubt you need any help in that catagory!! But as I remember, and it was the first time I had ever seen a cleaned squirrel, I simmered the critters until tender and used them in a creamed chicken recipe, using the broth in the recipe.

Ooh, yum, that sounds good, Beth. I always floured them and fried in a little oil till brown on both sides, then added a little dab of water to the pan, covered, and lowered the heat, letting it simmer until tender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom