Venison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. Venison is expensive (UK £50 / kg). I have never had venison so I would like to know what it tastes like before emptying my bank account. Any good recipies with condements to go with this please if it still sounds good.

I would normaly have a rump steak for a sunday lunch maybe peppered.

Thanks.

Last edited:
That is about 45$ a lb! WOW! Where is this deer meat coming from? to command such a high price.

Why don't you try a good restaurant first.

Being a lean meat, without much fat, does not leave much room for error in cooking.

That is about 45$ a lb! WOW! Where is this deer meat coming from? to command such a high price.
It was poached from the King's forest by Robin of Locksley. When he stole salmon he didn't poach it, he smoked it, so he was known as Robin of Loxley.

What cut of meat? The back straps are the most tender. (Loin)

Fruit goes very well with venison. Don't over cook it!

Depending on what it was fed, venison can be very gamey, or rich, and beef-like, but with a stronger flavor. Grain/corn fed venison has a wonderful flavor. The backstrap (tenderloin) is very tender, and flavorful.. It should be either cut into steaks, or roasted to a medium rare - 57' C.

Wild venison can have a flavor like lamb, but stronger. It's actually more like goat. Personally, I like the gamey flavor, though I once had a neck roast that was so gamey, it was inedible.

Tougher cuts, lime those from the shoulder, or hid quarters should be slow roasted in a covered roaster, or sealed in foil, and cooked for several hours to a temp of 104' C.

Seasonings that are good with venison include onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Rosemary, Cumin. Sage, Marjoram, fennel, chili powder, and summer savory.

Here's good advise for venison tenderloin - https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/rules-for-the-greatest-venison-loin-of-your-life/.

I would go with this sauce:
CUMBERLAND SAUCE
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup Port wine
1 cup beef stock
A pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
Zest of a lemon and an orange
1/4 cup Red currant jelly
Freshly ground black pepper

Deglaze the searing pan with the wine, and beef broth. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until you have a thick liquid. Serve over baked fingerling potatoes, and the sliced venison. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, is that a typo? 104°C? I have had venison pot roast that was fine and it had never gotten anywhere near that hot. That's hotter than the temperature at which water boils at sea level.

Last edited:
LOL, taxy, am I doing my math wrong?

104 C is 219 F - don't think that's very hot for slow roas!

I didn't check, but your math looks right, or at least close. It isn't "very hot" as a cooking temperature. But, it said "... cooked for several hours to a temp of 104' C." which, to me, means that the meat has to get to that temperature. I roasted some chicken in the oven tonight, at 180°C. That chicken was never going to get to 180°C. It did get to around 80°C and I called that done.

Yeah, you're right, I was out by .2 F LOL

Can't think of any meats that would call for a temp of 219 f for a finish. Think the most I've ever read is 185. That was probably really well done, dried out, ka ka beef. (joke! before we go any further! lol)

The purpose of the slow , moist roasting, to a temp of around 215' F., is the same as for when making shredded beef, or fresh pork shoulder, to melt the collagen (connecting tissue) and any fat. This serves to enhance tenderness, and mouth-feel. It will also allow seasonings to distribute their flavors more evenly through the meat.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Why don't you try a good restaurant first.

Being a lean meat, without much fat, does not leave much room for error in cooking.

You would not find a reasonably priced restaurant selling this. Would probably be fake. Deer is very dear in the UK. Also Lamb. The farmers pressure the government to refused other countries to import lamb mainly New Zealand. British farmers sell 90% to the EU to hike up the price of lamb in the UK. Lamb is about £15 per kg. Now we are OUT of the EU we can get better.

Also wild boar £70 / kg.

Last edited:
I'd say maybe you should just try some in a restaurant. Venison, as well as all other game meat, takes "know how" how to prepare properly. But even in a restaurant it is not always done right.
Personally I love all kind of game. Venison, especially.

No restaurants around here sell this as I just said. As for
Robin of Loxley (Robin Hod) [Sir_Loin_of_Beef]. He never exsisted this is a folk story

otuatail;16534.... As for Robin of Loxley (Robin Hod) [Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
. He never exsisted this is a folk story

I believe Sir Loin of Beef swas speaking tongue-in-cheek;). We all know that Robin Hood is a fictional character.

1seeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

otuatail, to get back to your original question, perhaps you could ask whomever you are buying it from.

first, what cut is it? Do you have a choice of cuts?
2nd, how do they recommend cooking it?

maybe even where it comes from? I don't know why but maybe someone here would better understand your cut if they new from where.

No restaurants around here sell this as I just said. As for
Robin of Loxley (Robin Hod) [Sir_Loin_of_Beef]. He never exsisted this is a folk story

I guess I missed that. I don't think venison is worth paying this much money just to buy and to try to make it right just for a taste. Unless you are independently wealthy and money is not issue, but then you would not be asking this question. :) Good luck.

I have only had game meat when my ex hunted it or friends served it, also hunted by individuals, non-commercially. I have had various, delicious burgers of various types of venison in a couple of restos. But, that was not wild meat. That was venison or bison that was farm raised. In Quebec, it wasn't (and probably still isn't) legal to sell wild game, only wild caught fish.

Back
Top Bottom