Venison ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love venison any way you serve it. Once, when I was about 18 years of age (and yes, I know, it was a time when tyrannosaurus Rex first came into the world), I went to a friend's house to see if he wanted to do anything. He still lived at home (we were both just getting ready to move away from our parent's homes, me heading for the Navy, and him, to Ferris State Universtiy) and we hug out a lot in the fixed up basement, which had a pool table, dart board, a speed bag, and a drum set. Well, it was my birthday, which I didn't know he knew about. We went to the basement where a mutual friend, and his older brother were both waiting. The friend played bass guitar, his brother played drums, and my friend tried to sing. They did their best rendition of "The Beatles'" song - "You Say It's Your Birthday". I was surprised, and felt awesome that they did this for me. After the song was played, the mutual friend and older brother went away and did whatever they were going to do that day. My friend had another surprise for me. He broke out some meat cubes from the fridge, and placed a fondue pot over it's flame, and heated the oil. We then speared the meat and cooked it in the hot oil, and had a great meal. The meat was venison that had been marinating in a bit liquid that contained, if I recall correctly (remember, it was back when their were dinosaurs roaming about) a bit of red wine, water, salt, garlic, and oregano, all of which complimented the light gaminess of the venison.

If I were to make the same dish now, I would omit the wine, include some sage, and soy sauce, and have a bowl of tzatziki on the side.

Where I'm going with this is that venison, if the right cut is used with a good marinade, makes a wonderful fondue course. So there you have it, another way to use venison.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
You're combining two of my loves, venison and fondue! As a child of the 70's, I've always wanted to make my own fondue but have never braved it. We need to use up last year's venison before hunting season, so this would be a good time to bust out that fondue pot I insisted on putting on the wedding registry 4 years ago! :)

You're combining two of my loves, venison and fondue! As a child of the 70's, I've always wanted to make my own fondue but have never braved it. We need to use up last year's venison before hunting season, so this would be a good time to bust out that fondue pot I insisted on putting on the wedding registry 4 years ago! :)

Might I suggest a pepper, or maybe garlic infused oil? It would add a wonderful flavor to the venison, or even try venison cubes that have been coated in panko bread crumbs, or in sesame seeds, or maybe a tempura batter. You would simply dip the cubes into the batter, then into the hot oil, and deep-fry until golden. With the panko, or tempura, I would serve with a sweet and sour dipping sauce.

Any way you serve it, a fondue with venison a is fun, and interesting meal.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I reiterate, cook it like beef, serve it always rare-medium rare. My mom used to heat the plates in the oven so the tallow didn't congeal. Don't know what to do with it, send it to me (you have my address, right)?. I love, love, love venison and would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind taste test or refuse to eat any form of venison.

When I lived in Texas there was a store in the front of the house we lived in. The man that owned it processed deer during hunting season. He always got a request for sausages to be made with any left over trimmed meat. Nothing went to waste. The hides were salted and rolled. Some wanted them to make a rug with and some didn't. Those went into a barrel to be sold to a company. All the hunters wanted their antlers back, no matter how small.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom