Venison ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
So I went to my local butcher shop yesterday to see if they sell whole sub-primal cuts so I can take some home and practice since I'm not in school and got a few weeks before my internship, feel like I'm getting rusty just house cooking with precut meats and canned stuff, need something real to do. I was told I could possibly be able to come in and practice if I wanted, hopefully get to do that a few times before I leave to kill some time while Im bored. Anyway, apparently venison is real cheap right now so Im gonna go back tomorrow when they get the prices from their source back and I plan on buying venison striploin or tenderloin. Anyone got any good recipes? I'm willing to try anything pretty much. I'll cut a few steaks but only got me and 2 people at my house to cook for so wanna do a few different dishes. I haven't personally cooked deer meat myself yet, dont know if theres anything I just gotta try or what. So any awesome recipes or ideas I can use?

I'm not a big venison fan, but I have cooked it and always soak it in milk first to make it less "gamey". I would think you should just do whatever you would normally do with beef after the soaking and let us know what worked. Um...how about venison bourguignon? (sp?) Or...stroganoff?

If you have ever seen the "Two Fat Ladies" cooking shows on BBC - or peruse your library for their books - they have several excellent ideas. Two of their favorites were the venison tenderloin with a blackberry sauce, and a flank roast with apricots.

Don't think I'll do the milk trick, I love the gamey tastes. Might try the venison bourguignon (spelling was right), I do got a sweet beef bourguignion recipe that itd go good with. I'm looking for things more focused on being matched specifically for venison though not just replacing beef. Mike, never seen the cooking show. Is that blackberry sauce a demi glace based or what? I think that would be delish. I've had blackberry demi before, berried demis seem to go good with game meats from what I've tasted.

I'm not sending a particular recipe, but #1 -- any recipe with red wine matches venison very well. I inherited a bunch of ground venison and the following are great in addition to what have been mentioned:

Chili
Stroganof
Goulash

Venison can really vary in gaminess (I'm one of those who likes the gamy flavor). Around here and other place I've lived, the deer feed on corn from farmers' fields and is so mild you can use it in any lean beef recipe (and yes, I've passed it off as beef). Remember that game IS lean, though, compared to meat that is grown for food, and sometimes you might need to add a strip of bacon or two, or something similar.

If your venison is of this milder variety, then you can use it in any beef recipe. When I lived out west, I had to be more careful.

Oh, my next ground venison meal will be cabbage rolls.

I’m very much into foraging for wild food and I recently, luckily, scored a bunch of morels and a big bunch of wild ramps (also known as wild leeks).

Last night I made a birthday dinner for a good friend of my daughters. The kid has been hinting he wanted to try venison so that’s what I went with.

First, I got my big cast iron pan hot and fried up a couple big chunks of smoked pork neck. Added some canola oil and had a flavorful place to sear pieces of a hindquarter roast I had cubed and dredged in black pepper and seasoned salt. I threw those in my pressure cooker with two Guinness and a couple bay leaves. Cooked high pressure for 40 minutes. They came out fork tender but still held their shape.

While the meat was cooking I sauteed ramps (chopped greens as well as split bulbs) and shitake mushrooms (the morels will star in future dishes, the delicate flavor would have been lost in this one) in the drippings of the venison, keeping the pork neck in the pan and adding a bundle of thyme and rosemary.

When meat was done, I drained it and added sauteed ramps and shrooms (deglazing pan with white wine and adding this to the pot), bundled herbs, a can of cream of celery soup and a can of water.

Served over angel hair pasta with a fresh loaf of Marco Polo bread and real butter. The room went silent except for the sound of eating. Finally, the kid looked up at me with big eyes and said, "This is REALLY good!". I didn’t hear anything else from him until he was done.

I was proud to introduce a 16 year-old kid to venison in a way that he’ll always remember as a good thing. The best thing is this is a kid who just recently gave up 10 years of vegetarianism.

Nothing like wild food to get you in touch with what’s real and good. Not that vegetarianism isn't real and good......if you're into that, I guess.....:chris:

We are lucky to get lots of ground venison from a friend. We use it as you would beef, meatballs, meatloaf, sloppy joes, tourtiere... We cut it with some ground beef or ground pork.

Last edited:
I make an oven braised ragout of venison, port and dried cherries. Serve it over a parsnip purée with roasted Brussels sprouts. Company worthy!

1. Fried (roll in flour seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper) and served with pan gravey and mashed potatoes and green beans.
2. I make orange beef using venison and like it better than using beef.
3. Fried venison with a brandy peppercorn sauce.
4. Marinated venison in liquid smoke, garlic, onion powder, black pepper, and some soy sauce then wrap pieces with bacon, skewer and grill.

My husband and grandson used to hunt, and I cooked a lot of venison. I prefer the younger does, for taste, but men seem to want that set of antlers. How you cook it depends a lot on the sex and age of the animal, and the way it was butchered. If the meat is really strong, it's probably because it was not butchered properly.

I liked cooking it as a pot roast....season, sear, and braise with vegetables. We also made it into Italian "beef" or BBQ. One favorite was Swiss Steak:

Swiss Steak
Constance

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sifted flour
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (2 pound) sirloin steak (1 1/2-inch thick)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 Package of dry onion soup mix
1 small can tomato sauce

2 cups of water

Directions:

1. Mix flour, salt and pepper.
2. Pound into steak with tenderizer or potato masher. Brown in olive oil in heavy skillet.
3. Add Onion Soup mix to the 2 cups of water, mix well and pour over steak along with tomato sauce.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

I usually have a piece of meat about 1" thick, and it takes only about an hour.

When I lived in the country, we just cooked venison the way we would cook beef. I never came across that "gamey" flavour. I suspect it comes from standing around taking pictures of you and the deer for half an hour before bleeding and gutting it. I suspect that strapping it to the hood of a car and driving home 200 km may add to that flavour.

We get very good venison from Scotland both wild(epidemic levels) and farmed.
I cook the cuts the same as the equiv beef cuts.
Yrs ago when I was flash I took a girlfriend and her sprog to lapland just before christmas. They went on a sleigh ride, I talked to the female chef, they hung Rudolph for 7 to 10 days. She also made bacon out of the belly and over the three days we only ate deer.
The kid was a complete 13 yrs old pain so it gave me great pleasure in telling her that the bacon she was eating for brekkie was of relative Rudi.:ermm:

I'm with Taxlady--we cooked venison like beef. One of my favs is to make a venison roast and take the pan drippings, add some venison or beef stock, grated Gjetost, some cream or sour cream to make the gravy, dried lingonberreis (or some lingonberry sauce). Yum-yum.

We have a simple preparation in our family for the good cuts of venison. Salt, Pepper, dredge in flour and sautee in browned butter.

Homey and just 'good people' food.

So I went to my local butcher shop yesterday to see if they sell whole sub-primal cuts so I can take some home and practice since I'm not in school and got a few weeks before my internship, feel like I'm getting rusty just house cooking with precut meats and canned stuff, need something real to do. I was told I could possibly be able to come in and practice if I wanted, hopefully get to do that a few times before I leave to kill some time while Im bored. Anyway, apparently venison is real cheap right now so Im gonna go back tomorrow when they get the prices from their source back and I plan on buying venison striploin or tenderloin. Anyone got any good recipes? I'm willing to try anything pretty much. I'll cut a few steaks but only got me and 2 people at my house to cook for so wanna do a few different dishes. I haven't personally cooked deer meat myself yet, dont know if theres anything I just gotta try or what. So any awesome recipes or ideas I can use?
Just send it to me--I love venison. The Scandinavian cook guy had a whole segment on venison recently...I was drooling...it all sounded/looked so good.

If you are getting venison loin, aka backstrap, I would cut it into steaks and butterfly them (or have the butcher do it for you). Season the steaks to taste, and then grill only to rare-med rare. This cut is very much like a filet mignon, and just as tender. Unlike some other cuts of venison, I do not try to soak or marinade backstrap (or butterflies, as we call them), but prefer to let the flavor of the meat shine.

(By the time hunting season is over, we have freezers full of about 6 deer, an antelope or 2, and sometimes elk - in addition to various birds. While antelope and elk are much more mild than deer and usually my preference, venison butterflies are still my favorite. I do tend to soak venison cube steak in milk for several hours before preparation, and marinade cuts like tip steak or roast, so I'm not a soak/marinade nay-sayer. This is the one cut I would implore you to try as is, especially if coming from a specialty meat market (as opposed to a deer that was field dressed and hung in your garage for a week!!). :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom