Venison Loins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have two lovely venison loins thawed, and I want to do something different with them this time. I usually cook it in the crock pot like a pot roast, with vegies, or turn it into BBQ's or Italian "beef".
Any ideas?

Hi Constance, it's a little late in the day but if they've not been put to use yet here is a delicious favourtire of mine (sorry, I've never exactly measured quantities here). Thinly slice the venison (maybe 1/5 thick slices) and marinade them pieces for at least half an hour in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, oil oil, chopped garlic and rosemary (or your favourite herb/herbs) with s&p to taste. Cook them quickly in a hot skillet or frying pan with the marinade, adding a little water or wine (or meat stock even) if the pan seems to be getting to dry. They should cook in about the same time as steak (serve with any pan juices drizzled over). It sounds a little kooky, but grilled fresh figs go so well with this dish :)

Jessica!!! That sounds wonderful.

Everybody keep their fingers crossed that Paulie gets a big deer this year... or any deer at all!!

pdswife said:
Jessica!!! That sounds wonderful.

Everybody keep their fingers crossed that Paulie gets a big deer this year... or any deer at all!!
Thanks Pds, it's so versitile, you can do the same thing to pork or beef, even duck breast. I'm not a huge fan of vinegar, but I do love balsamic. Let me know about all the dishes that you whip up from Paul's trip :)

Hunting season isn't until Oct. but if he gets a good shot in I'll let ya know about all the wonderful things we're eating.

I'll even invite you over to dinner since your living right next door now! lol

Oh Jessica, that sounds superb! We have a lot of venison in the freezer, so I'll give it a try next time.

I ended up cooking them in the crockpot with dry onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup. I sprinkled lots of sweet Hungarian Paprika on top.
I chopped several slices of thick-sliced bacon and cooked that until crisp, then removed the bacon and caramelized several onions that I had sliced thinly onthe mandoline.
I added about half of the onions to the crockpot, and saved the rest of them, and the bacon, for my green beans. I had taken pre-blanched Roma beans from the freezer, and I sauteed the beans in with the onions and bacon grease, then added the bacon when they were done.

Once the meat was tender (it only took a couple of hours on med/low), Kim sliced it up, added sour cream to the juice in the crockpot, and put the meat back in the sauce while the sour cream heated up.

Back
Top Bottom