Caffeine Withdrawal--please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I'm trying to cut out caffeine and am having a terrible time! I didn't think I'd have trouble (the standard "I'm not addicted" mentality, I guess), but I'm struggling without my morning coffee. I'm drinking decaf, but I have a headache and am really grouchy :evil: (oh, poor DH--I bet he's glad he had to go out of town for work!). Any advice, tips, or at least moral support? Thanks!

ibuprofin... and lots of it. i'm kind of going through the same thing after cutting down on the amount of pepsi i drink. it's not easy. good luck

moral support here. d'ya think it would be easier to taper off instead, like using half real coffee and half decaf, gradually decreasing the amount of the first and increasing the amount of the second?

Or would that just prolong the misery, like cutting your fingers off one clenched knuckle at a time?

I did the tapering thing last week. That was pretty easy, actually. I could probably go on like that forever so I'm afraid it's just time to rip the band-aid off, so to speak!

I am with Middie on this one. Take pain killers. Nothing will help the grumpiness other than time though, but once you kick the habit you will be so happy. I quit my morning coffee this year and it was hard for a while. Luckily my headaches were not severe, but I did have minor headaches and major grumpiness for about 3 weeks. It does pass though and you will feel so much better once you hit that point. It is so nice to know I am not "in trouble" if I don't get that cup in the morning. I don't even miss it the way I thought I would. Hang in there and know that the pain you are feeling right now will subside and be replaced by a feeling of accomplishment and an understanding that you are no longer a slave to your morning beverage.

mudbug, you have some disturbing metaphors for things...

btw, speaking of metaphors, pa baker, rent "il postino", the subtitled version, take lots of aspirin and take it easy. if that doesn't work, have a coca cola to ease off the coffee...

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you all for ideas and support. As always, you're the best! :) I hadn't thought of the asprin/ibuprophin thing. I'll start on that.

Middie, good luck cutting back on Pepsi. My DH did that a couple of years ago and had a heck of a time for awhile. He still drank diet but really missed the sugar rush. The benefit though was he lost 10 pounds because of it!

buckytom, I'm gearing up for my own nicotine withdrawal ordeal, to begin as soon as I am no longer part of the Tarjay team.

Be prepared for lots of yowling from this corner when that happens.

you'll get through this.
i promise.
the headaches and the crankies will pass.
i gave up coffee at 20 after i'd been drinking like 4 pots a day for 5 years. i gave up caffeinated pop at the same time, too. and later i gave up chocolate and chocolate-flavored anything (1 year and counting!)
pm me if you need to swear and vent.
it's very much worth it to give up caffeine.
the somach butterflies go away, your cheeks stop tingling, your ears don't ring, and you are calm............
it's awesome.
your energy level increases, too, ironically...
it's great. you are not dependent on caffeine to keep you upbeat; you're just you.

mudbug said:
I'm gearing up for my own nicotine withdrawal ordeal, to begin as soon as I am no longer part of the Tarjay team.

Hey, mudbug, when you're ready to try quitting, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. I used to run smoking cessation programs and I'd be happy to support you however I can, even if it's just being a sounding board for your yowling! :)

thanks, PA. Quitting's easy - I've done it lots of times. It's the staying quit that I have trouble with. The patch seems to work the best for me, so that's what I'm gonna start with again.

I will be getting back to you soon.

luvs_food said:
you'll get through this.
i promise.
the headaches and the crankies will pass.
i gave up coffee at 20 after i'd been drinking like 4 pots a day for 5 years. i gave up caffeinated pop at the same time, too. and later i gave up chocolate and chocolate-flavored anything (1 year and counting!)
pm me if you need to swear and vent.
it's very much worth it to give up caffeine.
the somach butterflies go away, your cheeks stop tingling, your ears don't ring, and you are calm............
it's awesome.
your energy level increases, too, ironically...
it's great. you are not dependent on caffeine to keep you upbeat; you're just you.

Thanks luvs_food! :D

mudbug, good for you to keep trying!!!

mudbug said:
buckytom, I'm gearing up for my own nicotine withdrawal ordeal, to begin as soon as I am no longer part of the Tarjay team.

Be prepared for lots of yowling from this corner when that happens.

uh oh, wait, you were one of the forgive and forget types, right?

oh, and i just remembered you stirring the poop with otter about howard stern... didn't you say you liked him too??????????

PA, drink heaps of water, (does it come in heaps?) anyway lots of it, to flush the cravings away. I prefer to stay on the coffee myself as it does not seem to have any effect on me. I can drink a short black coffee and be asleep 30 minutes later.

buckytom said:
uh oh, wait, you were one of the forgive and forget types, right?

oh, and i just remembered you stirring the poop with otter about howard stern... didn't you say you liked him too??????????

better watch your young butt next week is all I gotta say, buckster..........

please consider

Anyone wanting to quit ingesting caffeine in any shape or form - including chocolate - should consider eating a large fresh apple first thing upon waking up in the morning, preferably at room temperature.

Your body will get the needed jolt of energy, but in a good way.

Try it and you will see the good results. You can eat up to four apples throughout the day - unless you have other health concerns that is.

I learned this from our naturopath. It works.

Jocelyne

Back
Top Bottom