CORRECTION Walmart is all good with The Salvation Army

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
I apologize for incorrect information. Walmart is doing a great job with The Salvation Army. It's the Target chain that are the Grinch!

Nothing to worry about! I was railing against Walmart for not letting The Salvation Army to collect funds but I misread a newspiece! Whoops! I was wrong. :oops:

Now for the rest of the story.

Do you know why Target decided to stop the bell ringers? For a very simple reason. If they allow one organization to solicite donations, they will have to allow all who ask. So, to be fair to everybody, they stopped all solicitation.

Before you harp on Target, look at it from their point of view. Would it be worth it to end up in court when you refuse to allow a group of wiccan worshipers permission to solicit at your stores? Would your customers appreciate being solicited year round by various other religious or otherwise groups?

Personally, I find the bell ringers annoying. If I want to give to any charity, I'll give it in private and I'll write a check so I can claim it as a deduction.

Finally, did you know that many of these bell ringers are actually paid to ring those bells?

Seems logical. Except that Walmart is allowing it and they arent getting sued by anyone. I feel that any company has a right to refuse an organization for any reason. So, I think Target is saying that so make it all sound better. I wont be buying anything from them anymore for that reason. But I do have to say those bells are VERY annoying. :?

The Salvation Army is a good organization and deserves our support. Having said that, it is very annoying to send a check, and then receive multiple requests for donations all year. This same thing happens with many organizations we have donated to. For instance a friend had a grandson with leukemia ( he died at age 5) and we made a donation to the hospital where he received treatment in his memory. We are still getting solicitations after 3 years.

Some of the local supermarkets have someone right outside their doors at least once a month. All worthy causes, Girl Scouts, Vets, school groups, you name it. I can tell you that I get tired of walking past them to go shopping.

We give as much as we can to various organizations of our choosing, and I dislike feeling guilty when I have to refuse .

Actually, Walmart is limiting the bell ringing. At least some of them are. Don't know if it's a corporate decision, but I understand they're limiting the bell ringing to 14 hours total.

Seems to be right because I don't ever remember seeing the bell ringers at the Walmart I shop at.

This is going to be the trend. Fewer and fewer places will allow bell ringing and fund raising on their property because of the fact that if you let one do it, you'll have to let everyone do it too. How would you like it if there was some kind of Neo Nazi group fund raising outside your favorite supermarket?

If you boycott places like Target, you'll eventually have to boycott all other places too. Unless your church owns a supermarket, you're going to have a problem with purchasing food.

Thankfully, I live in a small town and it would be HIGHLY unlikely that the Kroger here would ban the bell ringers. I go to Kroger everyday and drop my pocket change in the bucket everyday. Doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to bother anyone else either. Of course, it's a different situation here, everyone knows one another and if I didn't drop the change in the bucket, well, it's deer season and someone might "miss their target" while I'm outside smoking! :LOL:

i don't mind the bell ringers this time of year. if i have change in my hand or pocket when leaving the store, they get it. the thing that really annoys me is when they ask you for donations at the registers at supermarkets and pet food stores. i go to them so often that i give a few bucks the first few times they ask. but when i say no to donating another dollar for whatever charity they are pushing because i have already given a few bucks earlier that week, the kid just makes a dirty face and you can feel the disapproving stares of the other customers on the back of your neck. it feels like a shakedown since your wallet is already open, and only scrooge would turn down giving a dollar to save some poor kid or animal...

Guess what? I think that 14 hour annual limit must be true. There are bell ringers all around the place, but none at Walmart. Like I said, I don't recall seeing them there last year and I didn't see them today.

I guess you need to add Walmart to your list of places you will not shop at.

When was the last time you remember seeing them at Walmart? I see them at all the local businesses, but not at the big chains and not at the big malls.

The Salvation Army is still ringing the bell here at Kroger. I can't speak for Walmart, but they are still here and I don't mind giving.

I think it's terrible that Target get such a bad rap. They had always had a no solicitation rule and made and exception in the case of the Salvation Army at Christmas time. Well, someone saw that as discriminating against their organization and put the pressure on to allow everyone to do it. So Target decided not to have their customers pestered by everyone in the world who wants to solicit in front of their store, and since they could not have one without the other, they decided to consider the customer. For this we should chastise them? I think they deserve a medal.

The Salvation Army seems to be a very worthwhile charity. I do feel guilty every time I pass one by without donating. I shouldn't, because I've just put money in 10 kettles before seeing this one, but I feel guilty. I don't think we need another thing to feel guilty about in this world. I think people should choose their charities without the hard sell - and they really should give, but Target is not the bad guy here.

BC

DampCharcoal said:
Nothing to worry about! I was railing against Walmart for not letting The Salvation Army to collect funds but I misread a newspiece! Whoops! I was wrong. :oops:

None of the retailers like it because some shoppers complain, so they painted, at least in California when I was there, little yellow boxes about 6 feet from the exit door and made the ringers stand there, next to a sign disclaiming them. They only places where I have seen them unincumbered was at Vons and at some local stores here in Eugene. Maybe I am wrong with what I heard, but that was always what I heard.

For very personal reasons, I can never walk past a Salvation Army bell ringer without tossing in a buck or more.

The bells remind me that there is someone out there who could use their help; I welcome them.

It is one charity I willingly write a check to; the ringers remind me to do so again.

But I agree with previous posters that there is nothing more annoying than sending a few bucks to the "Trusses for Cats Foundation" and then receiving monthly pleas for more money.

I get the feeling that the money I gave them is just being spent on postage trying to yank more cash out of me.

If I believe I should help more cats get trusses then I will donate again, and I do not need a reminder, thank you.

Salvation Army will always be A-OK in my book, for personal reasons less dire that aunt dot's, but nevertheless....

Handy Husband was working on the renovation of the Pentagon. When the plane hit the building on 9/11, SA was RIGHT THERE the next day, providing whatever the firemen, FBI, DoD, hazmat people, construction workers, etc. needed in the way of hot coffee, hot food, clean socks, raincoats, a place to decompress, or any other thing necessary. They did not ask for anything, just PROVIDED around the clock. And in those early days afterward, it was literally around the clock for many weeks. Always fully staffed, fully prepared, and as kind as could be to anyone who needed whatever. Hubby would come home after 12- or 16-hour days tired, but at least well-fed and looked after. I cannot say enough good things about this organization.

I have a problem with these charities. Several years ago I was accounting manager for a well know charity. I was horrified the first time I saw their financial statement. Only about 5% of what was collected acually went to the charity the rest was for salaries, fund raising, benefits for the executives. This charity shall remain nameless because I do not want to bad mouth any of them on the internet. My supervisors response to my questions was that it cost money to raise money and that the 5% of this organization was higher than most of the other ones. Therefore, I think twice before I give to any of them. BTW the one for which I worked is not one that has been mentioned here. I cannot speak for them. St. Vincent de Paul here in Eugene is one of the biggest and they have three sales outlets, the income of which has built two multi story low income family apartments and they are building another one. So here this particular one has something to show for what they collect. However, when I donate clothing, appliances, I always donate to the home for battered women.

DH and I clean out our closets every year and bring the clothes to the Homeless Shelter. We also give to the Homeless Viet-Nam Veterans Shelter. We have lots of homeless people in this state. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom