Lets Vote Liver Off the Menu !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No worries Bucky.
As I said to Crewsk (in the cafe), there is plenty of bacon, onions & gravy for the faint hearted (like me) to put on toast. The fry puts a beautiful flavour through the gravy.

You have to find lamb's fry (liver) though because I don't know whether calve's liver would work. It has to be available somewhere. I did forget to mention the salt & pepper as well. I put more than average pepper over the fries when layering them. Not smothered, but a healthy grind.

Cheers.

I have to agree with Maidrite. Liver serves three purposes in life. They are:

1) Filtration of poisons, such as caffiene and alcohol, from the bloodstream.
2) Storage of fat-soluable vitamins and minerals
3) Catfish bait.

Wouldn't you know it, but PeppA made Liver-n-Onions tonight. Luckily, I had to work, so I had some stuff from work.

We also serve breaded and fried veal liver at work, topping with sauteed onions. Lots of the members eat it. I won't touch it. I can cook it, but don't expect me to eat it.

buckytom said:
sounds good mish. i'm not a fan of mayo, except on boiled ham sammiches, but liverwurst with sweet red peppers and onions would be good on white or rye with spicy brown mustard. btw, where was the deli? always looking for good places.QUOTE]

Hi BT. 58th & Madison Ave, somewhere on a side street near where I worked. So many years ago, they're probably gone by now :( Restaurants in NY & L.A. are changing almost daily. Bet the Stage Deli (is that still there?) would make it up.

Hee Hee, one lunch hour a friend & I ducked into a nearby cinema w sammiches while our bosses were out of town. You never heard me say it. Guess Bloomingdales wasn't having a sale that day :LOL:

I know mayo & liverwurst & white bread sounds like an odd combo...but you gotta try the whole sand in its entirety - or it's a flop...And must be soft white bread.

rainy - fry mine up crispy and I like to mix mine with grits and sunny side up eggs. - about 2:30 in the morning it really hits the spot (soakage). LOL

Or on a bun with mayo, mustard and slaw.

mish - yep - it's in the bread - soft, soft, soft, stick to the roof of your mouth white bread - I also like slices of braunschweiger like that too.

Please leave liver on the menu.

Usually all we can get are chicken livers and what the grocer calls 'calves liver'. It is blood red, firm in texture, and about 1/4 inch thick and it is tough to cook it any way short of well done.

Usually avoid it.

Sometimes we can find 'veal liver' that is pink, delicate in texture, and cut about 1/2 inch in thickness.

This can be cooked rare to medium rare (the way we like it). Nothing better.

Would love to be able to find lamb and pig livers, but have not been able to do so.

Thanks for the info about liver mush. Never heard of it. Googled some recipes and it sounds like a liver scrapple. And we do love scrapple (don't make it much anymore because it is so easily available commercially). Have to try a recipe.

One question though, love Braunschweiger and liverwurst, but never heard of liver cheese.

What in the heck is it?

Anyway, we are definitely liver lovers.

I live to loathe liver, except for braunschweiger, which we always called liver sausage. The Oscar Mayer kind that comes in a little tube. I agree on the mayo and white bread fixings.

mish said:
Never heard of livercheese. What is it? Can it be bought anywhere? Curious.
It is just another name for liver sausage or braunschweiger. Sometimes it comes in a square, like other lunchmeats, and has a thin strip of cheese (I think it's cheese) around it.

:) Barbara

Cool for all of you that like it. Just keep that "stuff" [include innards, chittlins, brains, offals[funny how that rhymes with awful] and hearts] OFF my plate. Bleahch phewie........thanks, but no thank you.

mish said:
Me too, norge.

I like liver n grilled onions, ketchup n mashed potatoes, also chicken livers. Just can't bring myself to look at or cook it.

Apickles & get me some Matzo Ball or Kreplach soup...or a big fat pastrami or brisket sammich on rye with mustard:)
Ooops, wanted to mention my hungarian grandma's liver potato knishes were "the best." Wish I knew how to make them.
Never heard of livercheese. What is it? Can it be bought anywhere? Curious.

Love the deli food, and there is not one I can find here in Eugene. I can make matzo ball soup, have made kreplach but the noodles are like rubberbands when trying to form them, not worth the effort for a noodle. Agree about the deli sandwiches, love them, especially the new pickles.

crewsk said:
I hate beef liver! But, give me a plate of fried chicken livers with mashed potatoes & a thick cream gravy & you better get you hands away from that plate fast or you might wind up missing a finger or 2!:LOL:

Crewsk; What happened to "Be polite to others, not because they are nice, but because you are." :) :p

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom