Man, you cut off one arm and she grows back two.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor Martha, had it sooooo bad. :( and now look what she has to endure :( But she is sucking up, serving hot cocoa to the press.Well I just hope she did learn something. Money can't buy all the judges and jurys. Hopefully she will be alot nicer to people around her. As far as watching her new shows? well I guess I will take a peek but I'm sure like the rest of her shows I won't be an avid watcher.

tweedee said:
htc and norgeskog,

I am with the both of you I believe that Martha got shafted. I am definetly glad that Martha is out of prison and hopefully she will make a big come back.

I think what is the most annoying is the inconsistency of our judicial system. Other people have done way worse things and gotten away with it or a slap on the hand. But you know what I am really tired of is hearing about it. People that hang on to every little tidbit of information about stuff like this need to get a life.

Actually, she did do wrong.

The premise of the stock market is that it is to be a level playing field when it comes to trading.

The intent is that information is to be available to all who then use the info to determine which investments they want to buy and sell.

In the Stewart case, she was made aware of info known only by the President of the drug company.

That info was that the Federal Government had just denied licensing for one of the major drugs the drug company was going to bring to market.

When that information became known to the public, the price of the drug company shares would hit rock bottom.

Martha and the Drug Company President delayed giving out the info that the Government had just denied licensing.

SO they started selling their shares to the unsuspecting public.

The moral problem is that they were selling the shares to people who were unaware that the company had been denied the license.

When Martha and the Drug company President were selling shares to the unsuspecting public; they were doing so on an uneven playing field, they knew the value of the stock was going to plunge and INTENTIONALLY withheld that info from all of the 'little people' who bought the worthless shares.

The little people took the financial hit because the insiders (as in insider trading) sold them stock that the common people thought was viable, but that the insiders knew was worthless.

Here’s another way to view it. Imagine I am selling you my house. What you do not know is that the President of the Termite inspection company who will be performing the inspection is my cousin.

Wouldn’t you want to get the inspection done by someone else?

Good point, AuntDot!!! I'm one of those people who think she was made an example of and that she should have gotten off BUT what you said was right on the mark. It was a scumbag thing to do. 60K is nothing to her but quite a bit to others.

I do think she did wrong. I also think that she got a equal punishment. Outside of that I really dont care for her personality. Will I tune in to watch her shows? No. I canceled my cable so I cant even watch local stations. :LOL:

Auntdot, I'll agree with you that what she did was wrong and really stupid, especially considering that it only saved her a little bit of $$, my beef with it is that in the big picture, why make an example out of her? Though, yes I believe she needed to be punished for the trade...my only beef is that throughout all this, other offenders who committed much more serious crimes have yet to spend one night in jail, even if it is a min. security jail.

don't do the crime if ya can't do the time.

i think martha was not punished enough, but then again, i really could care less about it. just another rich person getting richer.
just an fyi: insider trading goes on all the time. my wife's old company was rife with it, and i know a few traders who jump on every chance. but they keep it small potatoes so the feds don't get wind of it. kinda like tax deductions.

so those of you who have lied on your taxes (like all of those charitable contributions 8) ) should hang your heads in shame now...

Back
Top Bottom