Martha Stewart clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Continuing from the dining room table thread... how many of you would say that you keep a spotless, magazine cover ready matha stwerat would be happy house. I'm curious. My mom is junky she collects stuff cause somebody might use it one day. I didnt have to buy paper goods for the first year and a half that i was married cause she needed to get rid of her stockpile.
Now that I am a bigger... only child and i have my own to place to keep clean...
It seems that keeping house amd especially the kitchen seems like trying to control chaos or trying to keep it at bay.
Sometimes I clean the kitchen so that I can have nice clean shiny pristine surfaces that would make my cafeteria manager mother proud. By the time i get through I am hungery and well you know, everything is clean and it is so much easier to cook when all your toys are ready...
And sometimes I clean so I can have space to cook, stuff to cook on or with and then to eat off of.
And then you eat. And your back where you started.
So... any of you all have tv ready homes/ kitchens?

vilasman1, I like Martha Stewart but my house would never pass her white glove test. I live alone and clean when I feel like it. I like a clean house but it does not have to be sterile like the OR in a hospital. I always keep the kitchen clean as I love to cook and need things neat and tidy in there. Otherwise, it is catch as catch can, what ever that means.

when i am at my own place, the main rooms are kept scrupulously clean, neat, and tidy. all is kept in order. i'm at my paarents' for a few months, but this, too, is a white-glove environment. clean, clean...
my bedroom is my rebellion. right now, it's better than it would usually be, cause my Mom sneaks in and cleans when i'm out. but even at that, i have all sorts of things scattered around. a bottle of vodka is under my left foot. a boyfriend is all sprawled out on my un-made bed. an organ donor card, jolly ranchers, gingerale, and beer are on my nightstand, and 4, 18-gallon rubbermaid containers are overflowing with clothes...(i ran out of closet space and my chest of drawers and dresser are too full to jam any more clothes into, lol.) i need to clean UP around this room.
5.gif

My grandmother used to say "Never throw away what you might need tomorrow" and she and my grandfather were definitly packrats, they saved everything from paper clips to cottege cheese, peanut butter and butter containers so their cabinets drawers and closets were always full.

As for me I am the total oppisite. I hate a cluttered house and am constantly cleaning and throwing things out all the time.

I believe that if I have things put away and never use them for anything, then why have it around at all so I get rid of it.

When I was single, I was fairly neat. I wasn't perfectly clean, but my kitchen was well organized, clean, and ready to go. I cleaned my pots after each session, and did dishes when I had a full load (usually every other day.).

Now that I part of a large family with several small children, we're lucky to keep the place clean for a day or two. I do everything I can in the kitchen, with at least one load of dishes every day, making sure the pots are ready to go, etc. Unfortunately, this place is small and we don't have enough good storage to keep off the little junk that she thinks she needs handy access to, easily stored away from small hands. Most of this ends up on the kitchen counter by the sink. GRRRRR.

It could be worse. At least we aren't still living with her Mother. My MIL is a complete packrat. When they came down to OK to move me up here to MI, I was throwing away junk that I hadn't used in years, especially as I didn't have the space in the truck to pack it all. My MIL WAS DIGGING IT OUT OF THE DUMPSTER AND STASHING IT! She wanted to sell it up here. I flew off the handle. I had to tell her that the reason I wanted to pitch it, was that we didn't have the room to transport it. She couldn't understand why I wanted to toss it. Nowadays, I have to literally destroy something, then toss it, or she'll do the same thing.

What's clean? It seems like as soon as I get things cleaned up, someone comes through & messes it up. I try to keep things neat but it's nowhere near spotless & TV/magazine worthy.

so true, crewsk. in a few hours, my nightstand has gone from having beer/pop/jolly ranchers/organ donor card to those things, -minus the organ donor card cause i put that in my bag- plus a pen, 2 video games, a bottle of spray-on moisturizer and a bottle of regualr moisturizer, a letter from my dr., nail clippers, 2 hairabnds, lipliner, a little tube of MORE moisturizer, a pink necklace, a candle, and some loose change.
but the rest of the house is in perfect order. not one thing out of place.
ironic, huh?
41.gif

My cars haven't seen the inside of my garage in 15 years. Does that answer the question? :D

I may keep things picked up but def. wouldn't pass the white glove test......sometimes I can't get to dusting for 2-3 weeks. And with a small ones little hands touching this and that theres always smudges on the glass, mirrors and furniture.

I will say this, though. My bathtub is spotless. Ever since I found Tilex Soap Scum formula, keeping the tub and shower doors clean has been a breeze.

i want all of your street addresses, ASAP!
i will show up with bleach, Pledge, Brite, dish soap, a bucket, many washcloths, tub and tile cleaner, disinfectant, disposable toilet brushes, mildew remover, Comet, Windex, odor neutralizer, sponges, scrub brushes, furniture scratch-repair, enzymatic cleaner, a few pairs of white gloves.. the list goes on and on...
you are all giving me the shakes!

luvs_food said:
i will show up with bleach, Pledge, Brite, dish soap, a bucket, many washcloths, tub and tile cleaner, disinfectant, disposable toilet brushes, mildew remover, Comet, Windex, odor neutralizer, sponges, scrub brushes, furniture scratch-repair, enzymatic cleaner, a few pairs of white gloves.. the list goes on and on...

you and my mom would get along great!

luvs_food said:

Careful luvs! I just might take you up on that!

We just moved into a 1919 home, and my first impression was that was probably the last time it had been thoroughly cleaned!

John

I would never pass a Martha inspection ... I usually have a computer, a radio, or something spread out on the dining room table.

luvs i just tackled my bathroom... but if you want to start on my kitchen and or living room please feel free !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom