Our Names..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom is my nickname at work. well, bucky is, tom's my real name. a few hundred years ago, when i started at my job, we had these huge 750 megabyte disk drives, the one unit size of 2 washing machines side by side, that had to be moved in our building. no one wanted to do this since they were really difficult to lift, so one of the old timers said "get the young buck to do it", and i ended up doing it by myself, so the nickname buck, or bucky stuck. then after working with several asian engineers that have two names, such as young choi, or how chen, they were confused by my two names, and started caling me buckytom.

Am I the only one going through the memory blanks that comes to women of my age? I finally gave up trying to remember all the various codes, names, and numbers that you need to get through life any more. Claire is simply my name!

I usually try to keep the same username (LilTinIN) on a forum/message board but when i registered I was assigned SizzlininIN and I liked it alot because I love the sound of food hitting a hot skillet or grill so i kept it. I thought it was perfect for me because of that and it showed the state I was doing my cooking in. I do find we have a tendency to shorten each others usernames still.....mines usually Sizz.

buckytom said:
buckytom is my nickname at work. well, bucky is, tom's my real name. a few hundred years ago, when i started at my job, we had these huge 750 megabyte disk drives, the one unit size of 2 washing machines side by side, that had to be moved in our building. no one wanted to do this since they were really difficult to lift, so one of the old timers said "get the young buck to do it", and i ended up doing it by myself, so the nickname buck, or bucky stuck. then after working with several asian engineers that have two names, such as young choi, or how chen, they were confused by my two names, and started caling me buckytom.

bucky, I love how you got your name. :D :cool:

Mine is very simple. I live in the Sierra Nevadas and I love to cook. Hence, SierraCook. My name gets shortened to either SC or Sierra.

SC :)

My last name begins with the letter "Z". In high school I had the nickname "Z-Man", along with it's variants "Z" and "The Z".

jkath said:
ahhhhhhh! I wondered about that, Z.

Yeah... It was pretty widespread. There were some people I knew for months and months who never knew my first name. Even the announcer at home football games used it... "the tackle is made by The ZEEEE-MAN!"

At most sites, I am Barbarian57 (the name Barbara comes from the word Barbarian, and I was born in 1957). When I joined here, I decided to be boring and just use my name so I wouldn't have people asking all the time if I was a male or female! Barbara is my first name, and L is the first letter of my last name.

Since James is sick today, I will answer for him. His name, Maidrite, is the name of a loose meat sandwich place in his hometown, Ottumwa, Iowa. He actually prefers the sandwiches at Canteen in Alley, so I'm surprised he didn't go with Canteen! By the way, if you are ever in Ottumwa, you have to try a Canteen! They are great!!! (I didn't care too much for the sandwiches at Maidrite).

:) Barbara

Mudbug is a slang term for crawfish. Part of my heritage is from Louisiana, so I chose to remember it with my moniker. My friends around here usually call me mud or bug.

Barbara L said:
Since James is sick today, I will answer for him. His name, Maidrite, is the name of a loose meat sandwich place in his hometown, Ottumwa, Iowa.

he could have gone with radar too barbara.
btw, maid rites are awesome. i've had them in moline and aledo, and hudson city. i think i have a few recipes, if you and james are interested...

buckytom said:
he could have gone with radar too barbara.
btw, maid rites are awesome. i've had them in moline and aledo, and hudson city. i think i have a few recipes, if you and james are interested...

Give please, I'm not barbara or james,but, I would like to see what is so good. Of course, we don't have those places here.

Mine is short for Rainedaywm which was chosen after a song titled Rainydaywomen

i'll jump in for barbara since she's not here right now. have you ever heard of a sloppy joe, ishbel? it's ground beef spiced and browned, then cooked in a bbq sauce-like gravy and served on a hamburger roll. well, a maid rite is a specialty from iowa and illinois that is like a sloppy joe, but the ground beef isn't in a thick sauce, more of an au jus, so the meat is crumbly or "loose". hence a loose meat sandwich.

Thanks for the info BT....!

Hmmmm I've seen sloppy joes on menus in the States, but have always been slightly embarrassed to enquire what they actually were! Thanks!

More specifically, loose meat is steamed ground beef. The fat drains away, but they are still very moist from steaming.

I would love the recipes too buckytom. :)

Speaking of Radar, James said they had a special M*A*S*H celebration in Ottumwa and Gary Burghoff (Radar) was the only one who turned them down!

Mine is for my very first grandson, Cade,:angel: who is the light of my life and MA is what he calls me hence Kadesma:) kadesma :LOL:

jkath said:
Bluecat, I love the descriptions of your cats!

Thank you jkath. I think a lot of my furry friends. Blue in particular intrigues me and has for years. He walks alongside me when I take the dog for a walk, as though he's a human companion - right by my side, except to stop momentarily for an occasional roll in the sun on the concrete sidewalk. People come out of their houses (sometimes with cameras) to ask me how I trained him to do this. All I can tell them is that this is what he choses to do, because we all know you can't really train a cat. He's a complex fellow.

BC

Back
Top Bottom