The No. 1 Restaurant in the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
The No. 1 Restaurant in the World

The top restaurant in the world is a British bistro called The Fat Duck. That's the word from an annual list of the world's best eateries compiled by Restaurant magazine with the help of more than 500 chefs and experts, report AFP and The Guardian. This is quite a feat for an establishment located in the country that is often the butt of jokes about its bad food. But the Brits are having the last laugh. This country is home to the largest number of top restaurants with 14 English restaurants making The World's 50 Best Restaurant's 2005 awards. Eight of the restaurants are in France and six are in the United States. Only one is in Asia.

The No. 1 Fat Duck is located in the village of Berkshire, west of London. It features dishes made from original recipes, such as sardine on toast sorbet, snail porridge, and bacon and egg ice cream. It's expensive. Lunch typically costs $71, while dinner runs $187--per person. Even if you don't agree with exact ratings on the list, look at it this way: It's a guide to the best food around the world. Start planning your vacation!

The top 20 places to eat in the world:
1. The Fat Duck Bray, Berkshire, England
2. El Bulli, Montjoi, Spain
3. The French Laundry, Yountville, California
4. Tetsuya's, Sydney
5. Gordon Ramsay, London
6. Pierre Gagnaire, Paris
7. Per Se, New York
8. Tom Aikens, London
9. Jean Georges, New York
10. St. John, London
11. Michel Bras, Laguiole, France
12. Le Louis XV, Monte Carlo
13. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, California
14. Charlie Trotter, Chicago
15. Gramercy Tavern, New York
16. Guy Savoy, Paris
17. Restaurant Alain Ducasse, Paris
18. The Gallery at Sketch, London
19. The Waterside Inn Bray, Berkshire, England
20. Nobu, London

Last edited:
Ive been to Charlie Trotters. Its REALLY good. But I can think of better places to eat. I wonder how they judge the eatteries. I think the Cafe is the best place. :rolleyes: :chef:

I wonder, too, Sushi. Sardine on toast sorbet, snail porridge, and bacon and egg ice cream, is NOT making my mouth water.
What did you have at Charlies?

Here's a link to check out the menu, etc. at The French Laundry.

http://www.sterba.net/yountville/frenchlaundry/

Last edited:
I had steak.... porterhouse if I remember. It was SOOOOOOO good! Everything was good. But I cant say that its the best steak I have had. Especially for the price. I could get an equally good porterhouse for $30 less.

The UK has seven out of twenty! Haaaaaa.... so much for thinking that British and cuisine cannot be mentioned in the same sentence :ROFLMAO:

I've been to 3 of the seven and due to go the Fat Duck later in the summer. Now that is an experience I am not sure I'm ready for..... I started a thread on this topic a few weeks ago with an example of Heston Blumenthal's menu..... It's definitely going to be an EXPERIENCE :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom