The "X" Files

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Recently bought a notebook that came with a printer (see below the Acer $699 deal). Want to get rid of my desktop puter. Problem is I'd have to buy an adapter & additional add-on ports? (since I'm uncomfortable typing on the notebook & using its mouse). Mine won't fit into the notebook.

The notebook came with windows XP. I'm used to windows 98. Grrr hate change, but guess I could adapt. Anyone have XP? Do you like it? Tech said he didn't think/wasn't sure if I could delete the XP (ha) & reinstall my windows 98 disk. I'll also lose all my recipes I've collected, since I saved them to a zip disc/drive - this one doesn't have a zip drive. &...it can be used as a wireless, but I will just use the dial up modem. Am I making this more complicated than it is? (Computer moron here).

Have to decide soon - should I keep it or send it back. Not sure what to do. I probably won't be able to respond, since I can't type on that keyboard. (Typing this on my old desktop.) But would appreciate any feedback from the great folks here. Thanks in advance. If you don't see me for awhile, it's cause I can't type on that thing. DUH.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1348&msg=S334-1029 KIT

I love Windows XP. I don't know what the differences would be though. I have heard that it is a better system than 95, but haven't heard how it compares to 98.

Mish, I build computers in my spare time. Why in heck would you want to put Win98 on your computer? WinXP is FAR better. Also, you can transfer your recipes to you new computer. ;) It would take some time on how to do that. I recommend you speak to a tech about that. But for heavens sake, keep XP!!!

XP is worlds better than 98. It is so much more stable (it won't crash anywhere near as much as 98) and is just better in so many ways.

Thanks Alix, DS & GB. Changing over from desktop to laptop is a big change for me.

DS, thanks for the tips. Wish you were in my neck of the woods...could use a good computer tech. If only I could get my recipes I've saved over the years transferred from my zip disks & be able to use a normal mouse & keyboard, I'd be happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom