Alphabetical Food! - tips/idea/recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
I thought it would be fun to alphabetically list a food item and give either a tip, idea or a recipe.

For instance, A - Avocado. I
could give a tip (place stone in guacamole to help keep its green colour), or an idea (bacon, lettuce and avocado sandwich spread with mayo) or a recipe - guacamole (can suggest a recipe or give it)

Difficult letters can be skipped, e.g. Q, X, Z

So...

A - Almonds - when buying them in their shells, shake them. If they rattle then they are old.

Last edited:
B - Beans. When I have baked beans on toast, I enrich them with crushed garlic, tomato paste and either peanuts or pumpkin seeds! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'll play.

C - Cauliflower. Instead of boring steamed cauliflower florets, try roasting the entire head.

Recipe: Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower | Recipes - PureWow

Cauliflower549x305.jpg

Dates - I like to sometimes make these into presents by placing a brazil nut inside each date and moulding marzipan around the date. Then I get some petit four cases and place them back in their oblong box (as many as will fit).

Eggs, Deviled: A classic that everyone loves. Simply mix the yolk with some mayonnaise, a splash of juice from a jar of green olives and garlic powder. Pipe the yolk mixture into the whites using a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off. Top with half of a Manzanilla olive and dust with smoked paprika.

Frittata - an egg dish that loves leftover meats and vegetables, re-purposing them into tonight's dinner.

Chop leftovers, break 6 eggs into a bowl, whisk till frothy, add in the leftovers, also any fresh or dried herbs that will compliment the add-ins. Pour into med-hot oiled skillet, cook until it releases, place under broiler to cook top. You can add cheese on top or bread crumbs if you like.

Ginger & Lemon Tea, fresh - great for colds!

Peel and finely grate a small portion of fresh root ginger (about 1 tsp) into a cup. Pour over boiling water to almost full. Stir and cover for a few minutes. Then add lemon juice to taste and honey. There will be the ginger bits at the bottom of the cup which I love to chew on, or you could pour it into another cup with a sieve over it.

Garlic can have many personalities, depending on how it is cut and/or cooked. The more surface area is exposed, as through mincing, the more pungency is released. But when whole cloves are roasted slowly (350°F for 30 minutes), they become soft, sweet and spreadable. Roasted garlic makes a wonderful spread on toasted bread or a delicious addition to mashed potatoes.

Haddock - gently cooked. If it's a thin tail fillet and I am just cooking for myself, then I do it the plate method. I get some new potatoes going in a pan of water. When halfway through cooking, I put a buttered/greased plate over the pan (measured beforehand to fit, with a lid over it). Place the haddock on the plate and cover with the lid. It will gently cook through in about 10 minutes (depending on the degree of heat and size of pan).

Ice Cream - everybody's favorite. You have the get the fat content and sweetness right then freeze it as quickly as possible. Faster freezing results in smaller ice crystals which give you a smoother (not icy) texture. Sugar and fat help with texture as well.

Innards - Internal organs. Most animal hearts are very good grilled. I am very fond of various soups that incorporate innards, as well. Menudo comes to mind. Hmm....Now where did I leave that honeycomb tripe?

Uh oh... I reckon I am posting an "I" out of turn.
Jerk... A Caribbean term for highly spiced food. I frequently cook jerk chicken on the grill.
I must admit that I, lately, have resorted to Walkerswood seasoning.

Kale - with feta cheese and beets it makes a delicious salad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Mangoes! Great tasting and versatile, e.g. in salsas, sorbets, smoothies ..... even just chopped up, mixed into some lime juice (for tang factor) and chilled. :yum:

Nalesniki - aka crepes Polish/Ukrainian/Russian style.

Fill these babies with fruit for dessert, but fill them with chopped egg, ham, avocado, onions and a sniff of grated cheddar for a filling brunch.

2 cups flour
2 cups milk
4 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter

Whisk milk and eggs together, add flour and whisk til smooth. Pour in the melted butter after its cooled a bit and whisk again. Pour into a heated crepe pan, swirl and flip when ready. Makes about 12 - 15 crepes depending on your pan.

Radishes - perfect to bring on a picnic!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom