Sunday Special - Under the Covers
Sunday Special - Under the Covers
1. Which band covered Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"?
a. - Taproot
b. - Stone Temple Pilots
c. - Alien Ant Farm
d. - The Atari's
2. Lenny Kravitz covered the 1970 protest song "American Woman" in 1999. Who
gave us the original?
3. Jimi Hendrix covered "All Along the Watchtower", but who recorded it
4. Los Lobos recorded a popular cover version of "La Bamba" in 1987, but
which male artist sang the original twenty nine years earlier?
5. In 1987 Billy Idol charted "Mony Mony" in the US. Which group originally
had a US Number Three hit with the song in 1968?
6. The Beatles sang "Roll Over Beethoven" in 1963, but who sang it first?
7. Aretha Franklin is well known for her version of the song "Respect",
which she released in 1967. The original artist wrote and recorded the song
in 1965 ; who was it ?
a. - Junior Walker
b. - Bob Marley
c. - Otis Redding
d. - Chuck Berry
8. Run DMC covered "Walk This Way", but who recorded it first, in 1975 ?
9. The Beatles did a great job on "Words of Love", but Which singer, famous
for his distinctive look and tragic early death, originally recorded "Words
a. - Eddie Cochran
b. - Buddy Holly
c. - Elvis Presley
d. - John Denver
10. Before Guns N' Roses recorded the cover of the song "Live and Let Die"
in 1991, it was originally written as the title track to the Bond movie with
the same name. Who was the original recorded by in 1973?
11. Eric Clapton released the more famous version of the song "I Shot the
Sheriff" in 1974, as a solo artist. Which group wrote the original version,
and was quite successful in their own right?
12. Madonna took Little Willie John's 'Fever' to number one in 1993, but who
took it to number eight in 1958 ?
13. "Come Fly With Me" appeared on the Michel Buble album "The Best of
Michael Buble". What crooner had the original hit with this song in 1957 ?
14. In 1990, Joan Jett released an entire album of cover, including Have You
Ever Seen The Rain". Who wrote and originally recorded it?
15. Kelly Osbourne launched her career with a remake of "Papa Don't Preach".
Which singer recorded the original?
16. In 1968, Marvin Gaye covered "I Heard It Thorough the Grapevine", and
his version has since become an acclaimed soul classic, but who recorded the
original in 1967 ?
17. Bryan Ferry did a good job covering "The 'In' Crowd", but I prefer the
original 1965 recording by ........... whom ?
(Hint; D____ G___)
18. Frank Wilson And The Cavaliers’ early-60s teen weeper ‘Last Kiss’ was
recorded on the cheap after Eddie Vedder got the band on board and offered
it to their fan-club members as a Christmas gift. Still, it does boggle the
mind that this remains the biggest chart hit of their career, and one of the
best-known cover songs of all time. Name the band.
19. Some of the tightest harmonies ever recorded are found on the Mamas and
the Papas "Dedicated to the One I Love", originally recorded by what Girl
a. - Supremes
b. - Vandellas
c. - Shirelles
d. - Ronettes
20. The White Stripes and Myley Cyrus both covered "Jolene", originally
written and recorded by ............. whom ?
1. - c
2. The Guess Who
3. Bob Dylan
4. Ritchie Valens
5. Tommy James and the Shondells
6. Chuck Berry
7. - c
9. - b
10. Paul McCartney & Wings
11. Bob Marley & the Wailers
12. Peggy Lee
13. Frank Sinatra
14. John Fogerty
16. Gladys Knight & the Pips
17. Dobie Gray
18. Pearl Jam
19. - c
20. Dolly Parton
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi