The Funny "Sayings" Of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned "knickers in a twist" from my Scottish ex, way before I ever heard "panties in a bunch". Until I moved to Denmark and had English friends, I thought knickers were trousers tha end and are tight just below the knee.

Google define:knickers and you'll get both the loose fitting trousers gathered at the knee/calf and woman's/girl's underpants. If I remember my women's panty history in past eras women wore longer underpanties, not the bikini that (as far as I've seen) are popular with present day women.

Thus the expressions are IMO equivalent.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

If I had a barrel of fish I'd just dump it over and pick them up when they quit flopping, and I wouldn't have to pick out the lead pellets.

I presume the proper weapon for shooting fish in a barrel would be a shotgun. You'd also need a barrel you didn't care about, and you'd have to live outside of city limits here in L.A. because it's illegal to discharge a firearm except (1) when defending yourself against a threat of murder or great bodily harm, (2) on a permitted firing range, or (3) in hunting season in an area permitted for hunting.

If I had a barrel of fish I'd just dump it over and pick them up when they quit flopping, and I wouldn't have to pick out the lead pellets.

I presume the proper weapon for shooting fish in a barrel would be a shotgun. You'd also need a barrel you didn't care about, and you'd have to live outside of city limits here in L.A. because it's illegal to discharge a firearm except (1) when defending yourself against a threat of murder or great bodily harm, (2) on a permitted firing range, or (3) in hunting season in an area permitted for hunting.

You could shoot them with a bow. Or slingshot. Or blow dart. Or airsoft gun. Or crossbow. Or potato launcher. Or nail gun. Or staple gun. Probably other things too.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, or your shirt in a knot or your panties in a bunch. Well, hush my mouth!

Put on your Big Girl panties and deal with it.

Coyote ugly: you'll chew off your arm in order to get away from him/her

Two-bagger ugly: a bag for your head, and a bag for his/her head

Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints (my fave)

Last edited:
There is a Danish saying I like. It's when someone is doing something very short sighted, "Peeing your pants to get warm".

I am laughing too hard! I am writing these in the journal.
Thank you all!

People are so very funny when given the chance to do so. Here is one more:
"That went over like a pregnant woman trying to pole-vault."

And:

"I know there is a hell. I work in retail."

"If you can read this, you're an idiot." (bumper sticker)

"My other car is a Tardis." (I love the Doctor Who!)

"Common sense is not all that common."

And thank you all!

Your friend,
~Cat

From your friends at tech support, that would be an ID-10-T error. It's old I but I still hear it every so often.

I like the saying "There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary and those who don't." First time I saw it was in college. It was hanging over of my comp sci advisor's office door.

Oh, in northern MN when it is really, really cold at night (winter), it is a "three-dog night" meaning, you have to throw a third dog on the bed to stay warm.

A lady Abuse to work with was from Tennessee and she was always saying that it was colder than a well diggers butt!!

These are so funny! Thank you all! I am putting these in my journal.
May I please have these more?

Your friend,
~Cat

A lady Abuse to work with was from Tennessee and she was always saying that it was colder than a well diggers butt!!

Did you attempt to say "A lady I used to work with....?"

I am sure this spellchecker is of the evil sort.

I like that, middle!

Your friend,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom