The Funny "Sayings" Of Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was born in Ohio but spent much of my life in Kentucky, so I have that southern twang going with my accent. Especially if I'm tired or comfortable with the company I'm in.

So some things I'll say is...

"Y'all git upstairs an go play" (talking to my kids)
or
"Y'all are soundn like uh herd o elephants up their. Knock it off."

Oh, in northern MN when it is really, really cold at night (winter), it is a "three-dog night" meaning, you have to throw a third dog on the bed to stay warm.

Sorry, but I believe this is Australian. The Aborigines use dogs to keep warm at night, and you quite correctly stated, a cold night is a three dog night.

We would "put another dog on the bed." And, in our house, there were three dogs, so it would be a "three-dog night." As is often the case, sayings can appear in more than one area.

My mom uses the expression "built like a brick sh*t house"

Which means that someone has a very nice body or "build", because an outhouse built from brick is a very well built one indeed.

Last edited:
Oh these are so very funny! I had some more of these in the other journals somewhere. I must locate those, also.

"Three sheets to the wind" means one is very drunken.

"Sh#t hit the fan." That is disgusting and leaves the large mess!

I am writing these into my journal!

Your friend,
~Cat

Half nine is just a shortened version of half past nine . We use " a quarter to 3 " as well . A lot of the sayings we all have are the same all over we just tailor them to our own countries really :)

Oh these are so very funny! I had some more of these in the other journals somewhere. I must locate those, also.

"Three sheets to the wind" means one is very drunken.

"Sh#t hit the fan." That is disgusting and leaves the large mess!

I am writing these into my journal!

Your friend,
~Cat

We say **** hit the fan all the time. It means that there's a lot of drama. A seemingly normal day went bad quickly.

You could shoot them with a bow. Or slingshot. Or blow dart. Or airsoft gun. Or crossbow. Or potato launcher. Or nail gun. Or staple gun. Probably other things too.

Or you just dump the barrel and let the water spill out. You've heard the term "a fish out of water." They stop moving after several minutes and are ready to clean or fillet.

For someone mentally deficient:
He's playing with a 51 card deck.
One brick short of a load
His elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

Not a saying, but I'm sure most here will know what it means.
Cat, I am curious if you know what it is in reference to...

From a bumper sticker I saw yesterday:
Paddle faster, I hear banjos.

For someone who puts on airs of wealth....

He doesn't have a pot to p**s in or a window to throw it out.

I don't mind if you s**t on my doorsteps, but don't knock on my door and ask for toilet paper.

Two of my mother's favorites. :angel:

This cracked me up years ago, on a bumper sticker on the back of a delivery truck: "Don't like my driving? Dial 1-800-Eat Sh#t."

Last edited:
Best Bumper sticker I've ever read.

" You say I'm a B....!"... Like that's a bad thing? :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom