DID YOU KNOW ...
According to Cherokee legend, the Milky Way was formed when a dog stole some
cornmeal and was chased away. He ran to the north, spilling cornmeal as he
ran. The Milky Way is thus called “The Way the Dog Ran Away.”
1. At the beginning of what year did the 21st century begin?
2. Fill in the Blank ;
Kentucky Derby Winner Medina Spirit stands to become the ______ horse in the
147-year history of the race to be disqualified for a failed test.
a. - First
b. - Second
c. - Third
d. - Fourth
3. Tiffany, Cambridge and Federal are all types of what shade of color?
a. - blue
b. - red
c. - yellow
d. - green
4. What was the name of Rhoda's doorman on the television show "Rhoda?"
5. The North/ South line that is the Geographical center of the lower 48
runs through six States : Name them ...
6. What performer connects the Broadway productions "South Pacific", "Peter
Pan" and "The Sound of Music"?
7. What information does the 'pH' provide when considering a solution in a
8. In which two diverse fields is the word 'unionized' (or 'unionised')
pronounced completely differently, and with very different meanings?
a. - Astronomy and Cooking
b. - Chemistry and Industrial Workplaces
c. - Both
d. - Neither
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
During a 1997 Taiwanese national celebration, the arms of two people were
torn from their bodies during a "Tug 'o War" ...
2. - b
3. - a
5. North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas
6. Mary Martin
7. Whether it is acidic or basic (alkaline)
8. - b
The neighborhood bully once told me if I played tug-of-war with the big
kids, they'd pull my arms off. I'm glad I took him seriously and desisted.
Yan Chiung-ming and Chen Ming-kuo were participating in a tug-of-war event
in Taipei to commemorate the anniversary of the end of Japanese colonial
rule in Taiwan. Over 1,600 people pulled on a nylon rope. When the rope
split, the force dismembered both men at the shoulders.
(The severing of their limbs was believed to have been caused by sheer
rebounding force of the broken rope rather than the men’s having wrapped the
rope around their arms, as was sometimes reported.) The victims were taken
to Mackay Memorial Hospital and underwent seven hours of microsurgery to
reattach their arms:
“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
― Mahatma Gandhi