Acini Di Pepe with Lemon Broth & Black Pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harborwitch

Sous Chef
Several years ago I got a set of cookbooks from Cooking Club of America. The recipes are collected from their magazines and when I first got the books I had grand plans for cooking cover to cover. Well things didn't work out that way, what with the health issues, the flood, moving onto the boat, etc. The books wound up in storage.

Last week I started going through them and looking for new things to cook. Wow! Boy was there a lot to choose from. Last night I made this soup - with a few modifications and we both fell in love with it.

Acini Di Pepe with Lemon Broth & Roasted Black Pepper

Fill a large pot 2/3 full of water, bring to a boil and add 1 tbs salt and 6 oz. of Acini di Pepe (small round pasta). Cook according to package directions, drain and set aside.

While the pasta cooks:

Tie together in a bundle
2 sprigs Italian parsley
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs basil

In a medium saucepan: 4 cups chicken broth
the bundle of herbs
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TBS grated lemon zest

combine over medium heat to boiling. Cover and remove from the heat; let steep 15 minutes. Return to medium heat, remove herbs and discard. Add
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
the cooked pasta
freshly cracked roasted black peppercorns*
salt to taste (I used Lemon Salt Flakes- available on line from Chefjohnny.com)
Ladle into bowls; garnish with 2 TBS fresh snipped chives and freshly grated parmigiano

* To roast peppercorns: put a small skillet over med.high heat - when hot add whole peppercorns (about 2 to 3 TBS). Shake or stir over heat until they begin popping. Lower heat to low and partially cover. Continue to cook for several minutes, or until the peppercorns are almost double in size and smell like pepper heaven:-p

Last edited:
I'm so glad! It was just as good for lunch today! The nice thing is that it's pretty much a pantry soup. Those are things that are almost always on hand, gotta love it.

I think I might add a little more garlic next time - it really reminds me of a lemon garlic soup I had years and years ago and have been craving! :-p

Thanks for the recipe. You guys must really be counting calories if 6 oz of macaroni is enough for 2 people spread over 2 days :).

acini di pepe is tiny pasta - about the size of a pepper corn (hence "di pepe"), a little goes a long ways. It made 3 generous servings - perfect for a light supper. Did I mention that we pigged out at :huh: Taco Bell while on the road for a late lunch that afternoon? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom