"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I have an old... real old... West Bend oval crock pot. The kind with a separate warming plate it sets on. It goes from 1-5 and I was on 3. For reference, a 1-1/2 lbs chuck roast with veggies takes about 6 hours on the same setting.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,716
I think I would start them out on high and reduce to low when it is visibly cooking, lid has dripping water.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,452
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That looks really yummy Pac.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #64
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,428
i'm still waiting to hear how you liked the taste of your fo soup made this way, pac. of course, there will be plenty of opportunity for you to try it in a variety of different ways, just as you already observed. these fo pucks could conceivably be used as the base for an entirely new, more complex soup. i could see introducing cubes of meat, such as lamb, or pork. duck fat. duck! duck leftover from thanksgiving!

btw pac, did you add butter or oil when you slow cooked the onions? judging from the deep brown color of your onions, i would guess you did, though....
they might make a tasty pizza topping, or for steak subs....

.
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That looks really yummy Pac.
Thank you. It was pretty tasty, even for a first effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm still waiting to hear how you liked the taste of your fo soup made this way, pac. of course, there will be plenty of opportunity for you to try it in a variety of different ways, just as you already observed. these fo pucks could conceivably be used as the base for an entirely new, more complex soup. i could see introducing cubes of meat, such as lamb, or pork. duck fat. duck! duck leftover from thanksgiving!

btw pac, did you add butter or oil when you slow cooked the onions? judging from the deep brown color of your onions, i would guess you did, though....
they might make a tasty pizza topping, or for steak subs....

.
I liked it and would make it this way again, but I am also looking forward to using vermouth to give it a bit more bite.
Yes, I used butter. You can see it in the pic in the mandolin thread.

Steak sandwiches, good idea!
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Delicious Pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK, this would qualify as pretty much almost instant.

I dropped the frozen puck into the crock, splashed a little red wine in, added some bold beef stock, a little water, then nuked it with a lid on the crock for four minutes at 3/4 power. It was thoroughly heated through, the puck thawed, and too hot to handle with bare hands, so I guess it simmered for a bit. Then I dropped a layer of croutons in, two slices of Swiss, and placed it under the broiler of the toaster oven for a few minutes. Voila, French onion soup in about eight minutes.

The hardest part was getting the pucks out of the muffin tray. I had to use a mallet and even then they were a little "moist" from the hot water I set the pan in. Maybe a silicon muffin pan would work better. I won't have to worry about that again for 11 more crocks

Sorry for the blurry pic, it looked in focus when I snapped it, and then POOF, the soup was gone
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
On a separate note but same principle, this thread gave me an idea. I made sloppy joes yesterday. I had a repeat performance for dinner today. However, this time it made a bigger kettle than usual. I'm going to line a muffin pan with plastic wrap, freeze up some Sloppy Pucks. I think I will lightly oil the plastic with some EVOO first. When they are frozen, I hope they will pop right out and go into a freezer bag. One puck per sandwich down the road.

That's the theory. We'll see...
Follow up. I did brush the plastic wrap lightly with oil ( cooking spray would work too). Then pushed the plastic wrap in the muffin cups. Added sloppy joes. Freeze. They did pop right off and went into a freezer bag). I expect this would work with an onion mix this method too. No banging on the cup bottoms or dipping in hot water to get the food out.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks for the method, Whiska.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,452
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for the method, Whiska.
It does sound like a good method. I'll have to give it a try.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,716
I have a stack of silicon cupcake "papers," makes all this much easier. Speaking of which...I just remembered where my second 1/4 sheet pan was. It's in the freezer holding silicon cupcake papers filled with chicken soup parts...
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,452
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Follow up. I did brush the plastic wrap lightly with oil ( cooking spray would work too). Then pushed the plastic wrap in the muffin cups. Added sloppy joes. Freeze. They did pop right off and went into a freezer bag). I expect this would work with an onion mix this method too. No banging on the cup bottoms or dipping in hot water to get the food out.
Did you leave your "sloppy pucks" in the plastic when you put them in the freezer bag? If not, how easy was it take the plastic off? If you did, please let us know, when you use one of your frozen pucks.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #72
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
TL-- I did lift them up and off the plastic wrap, just to make sure they would and are loosened off. Then I put them back in sets of two cuz I usually eat 2 sammies at a time. Wrapped in the plastic and then all into a freezer zip lock. For the onion soup, I would do that too, only in batch size that you would use as for soup etc., I think the double wrap will help prevent freezer burn if it were a longer storage, not that that will ever happen. I think this is a good idea so I don't feel compelled to eat Sloppies every meal for 3 days until they are gone.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,452
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
TL-- I did lift them up and off the plastic wrap, just to make sure they would and are loosened off. Then I put them back in sets of two cuz I usually eat 2 sammies at a time. Wrapped in the plastic and then all into a freezer zip lock. For the onion soup, I would do that too, only in batch size that you would use as for soup etc., I think the double wrap will help prevent freezer burn if it were a longer storage, not that that will ever happen. I think this is a good idea so I don't feel compelled to eat Sloppies every meal for 3 days until they are gone.
I think you are right about the freezer burn. There is another advantage. If the get a little bit soft, for any reason, they won't refreeze into one big glob. I have had that happen.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
I finally took on this project yesterday and this morning.

It took 10 large white onions thinly sliced on my madolin to fill up my crock pot to the very top. I cut up a stick of butter and used 2 Tbs. of balsamic vinegar over the top of the onions.

After about 4 hrs of cooking on low, I was sick of the onion smell so I took it outside and plugged it into our outdoor outlet
. The crock pot cooked on low outside for a total of 20 hrs, yes twenty hours. I stirred it just twice.

After cooling I spooned up portions into ziplock sandwich bags, and froze the little bags in one large freezer ziplock bag. I couldn't see going through the trouble of muffin tins, and this worked very well.




Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC030534.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	16480   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC030536.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	16481  

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I finally took on this project yesterday and this morning.

It took 10 large white onions thinly sliced on my madolin to fill up my crock pot to the very top. I cut up a stick of butter and used 2 Tbs. of balsamic vinegar over the top of the onions.

After about 4 hrs of cooking on low, I was sick of the onion smell so I took it outside and plugged it into our outdoor outlet. The crock pot cooked on low outside for a total of 20 hrs, yes twenty hours. I stirred it just twice.

After cooling I spooned up portions into ziplock sandwich bags, and froze the little bags in one large freezer ziplock bag. I couldn't see going through the trouble of muffin tins, and this worked very well.
Wow, Kayelle, looks great! I had to reading you plugged it in outside!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
If I knew a slow cooker was insulated enough to work outside in cold temps, I would have taken mine outside, too. The house smelled of onions for a good three days afterwards
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Thanks Dawg.

I normally love the smell of onions cooking but when you think about it, you only smell them for a short time. This crock pot thing with nothing but onions cooking for all those hours is nauseating to put it nicely. I lit every scented candle in the house just to survive. At any rate it worked well outside, although I guess it wouldn't work for those who live in a very cold climate.
I can't wait to make nearly instant French Onion Soup, although right this minute onions are the last thing on my mind. I think they'll also be great for cheese steak
sandwiches, and lots more.

I didn't see your post up there Pac...sorry it was too cold to do the same. You could have wrapped it in a big blanket but I'm sure you'd have to throw the blanket away.
lol
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I'm smelling those onions again just thinking about them
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,766
Frankly Pac, I think this is summer crock pot idea for many people. I gotta hand it to you. There's just no way I could tolerate smelling those crock pot onions in the house for 20 hours and for three days after they're cooked. What did your dog have to say? Is he looking for a new home?
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 25,042
Too funny, and such good info, Pac and Kayelle! Hope the onion smell goes away soon!

Am thinking I have an outdoor outlet. That's where I may put my CP full of onions.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.