Andouille Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire

ANDOUILLE GUMBO
(Today’s Version)

1 Slice Salt Pork, chopped
2 Slices Smokey Bacon, Chopped
1 ½ lb. Real Andouille Sausage
1/2 lb. of Tasso
1 Large Onion, diced
1 Large Bell Pepper, diced
2-3 Ribs of Celery, diced
3-4 Green onions, diced
3 Tbls Parsley, chopped
5 Bay leaves
4 Large cloves garlic, chopped
5 Cups chicken stock, defatted
1 Pint jar tomatoes
2 Cups Okra, sliced
3 Tbls. Medium brown roux
Salt & Pepper

Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat...Add the bacon and salt pork, and cook until most of the fat has rendered. Add the Andouille, the Tasso, and continue to gently sauté for 15-20 minutes. Add the onion, pepper, celery, green onion, parsley, garlic, bay leaves and ½ t. of course ground black pepper... continue to gently sauté for 20-30 minutes. Next add the chicken stock and tomatoes....bring to a boil...cover and reduce heat to low....Simmer an hour or so....In a separate pan dry fry (tiny bit of oil) the okra until it stops stringing and add it to the Gumbo...Continue simmering covered for another hour or so. Bring the Gumbo up to a boil, add the roux, and stir until well incorporated....Reduce back to a simmer. Check seasoning for salt and pepper.
Serve with rice or potato salad.

Note: You may not need to add any salt. The Andouille, Tasso, home canned tomatoes, chicken stock etc. may be just the right amount for you.

Looks great UB. I see a meal of this in my future.

Andy I thought about you when I sat down to eat, but those thoughts quickly faded to the task at hand!!:LOL:

It was an awesome Gumbo...So I quickly wrote it down as best I could for future generations!

Enjoy!

Andy I thought about you when I sat down to eat, but those thoughts quickly faded to the task at hand!!:LOL:

It was an awesome Gumbo...So I quickly wrote it down as best I could for future generations!

Enjoy!

I see it's labeled Today's Version. Is there another version on the way?

I see it's labeled Today's Version. Is there another version on the way?

:LOL: No, not of this one. Maybe "Latest Version" would have been more appropriate...I've made an Andouille Gumbo many times, but this one seemed especially awesome...So I wrote down what I used, the amounts, exactly what I did, etc (before I forgot:ermm:) so hopefully I can make it again.

Where do you get your andouille? That looks like an awsome gumbo. I add a few more spices to mine.

Where do you get your andouille? That looks like an awsome gumbo. I add a few more spices to mine.

Jacobs and/or Bailey's in La Place Louisiana mostly...The flavor's (spices) that come from the Andouille and Tasso (Mostly Andouille) are just about right for this particular Gumbo...It is the flavor profile I'm looking for....

Enjoy!

UB that makes wish I went home for the wekend. I was not feeling good so I did not go home for the weekend.

Love the tip about dry frying the okra.

Next time I am on the south side of LA I will check out your source. I love to get Boudain from Rabideaux's in Iowa.

Back
Top Bottom