Asparagus dandelion mushroom soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Let me see if I can reconstruct this. I made it yesterday, and it was pretty good! DH couldn't stop eating it.

I had some leftover dandelion greens sauteed with onion and garlic, along with some nuked asparagus.

Sautee 1/2 onion, chopped, in olive oil until transparent. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and sautee. Add 1Qt. Chicken stock. Cook over medium heat. Chop 1/2 lb. asparagus, add to pot. Chop a huge handful of chives, add to pot (optional). Throw in chopped dandelion greens (I had leftover, about 1/4-1/2 cup, more if you have it), let boil, stirring occasionally. Add a T. of Better Than Boullion chicken stock. Sprinkle dried pepper flakes to taste. A squeeze of lime juice. Added 2T. Grated parm from the green container. I had a bunch of dehydrated Hen of the Woods mushrooms, threw in a handful, powdering some. Probably any mushroom would work. Used the stick blender to make it chunky. Turned heat to low and added a handful of yogurt cheese (you can use Greek or plain yogurt) to thicken, and stick blend some more.

Serve with saltines or oyster crackers.

Last edited:
this does sound good, dawg.

do you find the dandelion greens lose their bitterness, or is that a component of the balance of the soup?

Thanks guys! BT, the greens had very little bitterness. I had previously cooked them in salt water. I think they'd lose bitterness even if put in fresh, as they'd be boiled.

I would think the recipe might also be good with a roux, or other thickening. I liked the slightly tart creaminess from the yogurt cheese. I considered adding some rice, wild rice would add a nice chew.

Back
Top Bottom