Beef Veg soup meat prep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I've got some frozen beef stew chunks that I want to use in a beef vegetable soup. The chunks are about 1"+. If I was making stew, I would flour/season/brown the chunks. What do I do to make soup? Boil, flour and brown, brown only with onions/garlic? something else? Thanks for any suggestions!

I brown soup meat...no flour...Then simmer slowly till tender. Remove the meat and build the soup from the stock/broth...add the meat back in just before you're ready to eat.
If you wanna brown some onions at the same time...Go for it....Garlic may burn...add it later.

Enjoy!

I treat soup meat the same as stew meat. The two are very similar. I brown it. I add flour later to thicken if I think it's needed.

When I start a soup, I saute onions, celery, carrots first, add stock and other veggies. So are you two suggesting I do separate steps; brown the meat in one pan and start the soup in another pot? It seems like you are doing it all in one pot?

I flour/brown the meat first then remove and set aside for later. In the same pot add the veg and cook those to your liking then add any dried herbs/wine. Once th pot is fragrant I add the liquid (water/stock) and finally the meat.

I made chicken soup yesterday the same way. I brown the parts first, then add them later to finish cooking. When the chicken is done, I remove the meat an add it to the soup. If you want the soup to simmer some more you can toss the bones back in for a deeper flavor.

Sorry if I was confusing in what I do...For what's it worth I'll rephrase...

I brown the soup meat-usually cubed chuck- in a soup pot.
When it is browned to my liking - I add water/wine on top of the browned meat to deglaze the pot.
I simmer the meat in this water/wine mixture until tender - This becomes my soup (beef) stock/broth -- I remove the meat-It is done to perfect tenderness - I set it aside.
In the same pot that now contains my beef broth -that I just made-I add any and all vegetables - any and all herbs/spices-- except maybe potatoes -- I add them later so as not to over cook.
When all of this is done - vegetables not over cooked or mushy - I adjust seasoning --When it taste good my soup is almost done.
Then I add back the already browned and braised tender meat...Give it a few minutes to heat, and now my soup is done.

Enjoy!

I start with a classic brown stock - meat, bones and vegetables baked in the oven at 350F until nicely browned. If you don't know how to make a brown stock, just Google it and you'll get hundreds of returns. "Joy of Cooking" has very good instructions as well.

There are no wrong way to make soup. You just get different result in the end.
I do not brown soup meat, nor do I sautee onions or anything else if it is a meat soup. I do do it if it is vegetarian soup though.
I cook meat till it is done then add vegetables. It all depends on what you want to have in the end. I say try to do it both ways and see which one you like better.

I have a big pot of vegetable beef soup simmering on the burner right now...wish you could smell it!
You don't have to brown the meat...my mother never did, and I didn't used to, and the soup was delicious. But since DH has started helping me make the soup, he does brown it, and I think it adds a lot of flavor to the soup.
We don't cook the meat and then remove it, as the others do. We just cook it a while along with the onions, celery and garlic, and then start adding vegetables according to their cooking times.

hey connie, i think i can smell it! My soup turned out wonderful, but unlike any veg beef soup I had ever made. I usually start out with left over cooked meat. I did brown, and remove, the floured meat, and then ate on the soup for days!

MMMM ... vegetable beef soup. Sounds perfect for the cold we are all experiencing! I'm glad your soup turned out well!

Had I read this earlier (ie - before you made your soup), I would have suggested what Uncle Bob does except I take out the meat and broth, then brown my onion and carrots, then add it all back in with whatever other frozen veggies I have until the meat is falling apart.

Again, glad it turned out well and thank you for the inspiration for dinner on Thursday!

Back
Top Bottom