Best wine to use for Onion soup??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love FOS and make it all the time in the winter. I could eat it every day.

I hardly ever use regular wine in my french onion soup, but often use vermouth and always finish it with a hit of brandy or sherry if I don't have brandy.

I usually use a mixture of 2/3 beef to 1/3 chicken broth. And veal stock if I have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for wine in FOS, there are many different suggestions for that as well, and each imparts a distinctive flavor. Especially in mid-winter, I favor a high percentage of beef stock, and red wine. However, chicken stock and white wine or Sherry also make a tasty soup.

not the way i made it :) I had an over abundance of kiwi's last year ( about 900) so I had to do something with about 1/2 of them. made some homemade wine. Im not a wine expert, so I cant really tell if it is any good or not, but it does the job when I need some wine for cooking. It isnt sweet at all, although, I did sweeten a few bottles with a wine sweetener I got at the wine & beer making store.

I use a bit of Port and Burgundy in my FOS. A little goes a long way so don't use too much. Maybe to a large pot I use 1/4 cup of each.

But we should be talking about what is the best wine to use for the soup. Might I suggest we get back to discussing that and start a new thread about Swiss cheese if so desired.
I need to apologize to Breezy, ChefJune, Jennyema, and Kitchenelf. I either edited their posts or told them not to discuss cheese in this thread. For some reason I did not notice that Larry actually had asked about cheese in his original post so discussing cheese here was not only OK, but was exactly what we should have been discussing. My apologies go out to those four as well as to Larry and everyone else too. please feel free to continue discussing not only which wine to use, but also which cheese. I am off to the eye doctor to get my peepers checked now so I do not miss something like this again.

I use white wine and brandy - never heard of the 1/2 chicken and 1/2 beef though, might have to try that next time! I'm staying out of the cheese conversation.

Back
Top Bottom