Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I searched this site for "clam chowder" and this thread came up first. Forums rock. This thread is way old. Most of the posters who were very happy here are no longer here since this thread was started. I couple of people were here back then and are still active here now.

This recipe makes my mouth water. The caramelizing will take a long time and require constant attention but I think that it is what makes this recipe sound so perfect. I'm going to have to make this one.

I just made it. Wowers! I made a few mistakes and I added to the seasoning. I tasted it toward the end and it lacked a touch of "kick". The flavors were perfection other than that. I smelled all the stuff I had that was hot and decided on a couple of shakes of Mexican chili powder of all things. It still needed more so I have it a touch of cayenne. To me cayenne doesn't have much flavor of it't own, it's just hot. I hope I didn't commit a culinary atrocity with my additions.

I just made it. Wowers! I made a few mistakes and I added to the seasoning. I tasted it toward the end and it lacked a touch of "kick". The flavors were perfection other than that. I smelled all the stuff I had that was hot and decided on a couple of shakes of Mexican chili powder of all things. It still needed more so I have it a touch of cayenne. To me cayenne doesn't have much flavor of it't own, it's just hot. I hope I didn't commit a culinary atrocity with my additions.

[emoji38] atrocity. Your kitchen, your rules. I think most creamy savory dishes are improved by a touch of heat. Sometimes a bit of acid is needed, sometimes a boost of umami, like fish sauce or Worcestershire. It's all good.

I just made it. Wowers!

To me cayenne doesn't have much flavor of it't own, it's just hot. I hope I didn't commit a culinary atrocity with my additions.
Glad you got it to your liking! And like GG said, your kitchen, your rules!

I agree with you, on the cayenne - nothing but hot. With all of the chiles I have in my house (has to be over 50, but I'm just guessing), I have no cayenne! I grind up many of those flavorful Thai peppers I grow, and use that - probably doesn't make much difference, since it is used in small amounts, but the flavor and aroma is there.

Back
Top Bottom