Black Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Love black beans, and BTW I posted a lentil soup recipe in the grain section, sorry :mrgreen: .

BLACK BEAN SOUP

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 serrano chilli, seeded and minced (wimp here uses anaheim or pasilla)
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 tomatoe diced
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp oregano
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1/2 cup chicken stock or chicken bullion cube disolved in 1/2 cup
1 tbs chopped cilantro (optional, I use parsley)
juice of 1/2 lime
s/p to taste

In medium saucepan, saute garlic, onion, chili, corn and tomatoe until soft. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano, black beans and chicken broth, fresh cilantro, lime juice, s&p and simmer 12 minutes. Put half in a food processor and pulse to almost puree, add back to rest of soup. Garnish with wedge of lime, cilantro or parsley sprig, and crunchy corn tortilla strips. A dollop of you know what is nice too. I have added cooked chicken to this as well and it was a full meal. To make vegetarian use vegetable broth or NO-chicken broth.

here's another recipe, not as nice as norgeskog's, but quick and easy.

2 cans black bean soup (I use Progresso)
1 can Rotel

Heat, eat, and throw cans away.

mudbug said:
here's another recipe, not as nice as norgeskog's, but quick and easy.

2 cans black bean soup (I use Progresso)
1 can Rotel

Heat, eat, and throw cans away.

That does sound good and easy, and I forgot what rotel was. feeling stupid :?

Ro-tel is canned tomatoes with green chili and other spices. In my store it's on the top shelf, above the usual other varieties of canned tomato stuff.

mudbug said:
Ro-tel is canned tomatoes with green chili and other spices. In my store it's on the top shelf, above the usual other varieties of canned tomato stuff.

Thanks, mudbug. I think I was told that before, but forgot about it cause I could not find it here.

Bug - we must shop at the same place!!!! LOL And if the first 2 cana are gone I can't reach the third can unless I stand on the bottom shelf :oops:

If you still can't find it I'm sure we can give you a recipe - it's basically pico de gallo but with more of a liquid - which I feel can be somewhat duplicated with some tomato sauce, lime juice, a bit of vinegar, add some salt to begin the maceration process, - does that sound about right? (and plus all the other ingredients usually found in RoTel - green chilies, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, etc.)

sounds about right, elf. I think I might use tomato juice rather than sauce, if at all, and be sure to add some cayenne or Tabasco. That stuff has a bite that chimes in perfectly with the black beans.

As for reaching the top shelf - that's what husbands and store managers are for!

ahhhhh - tomato juice!!!!!!! perfect!!!! Yea, the bite - lots of fresh jalapeno maybe leave the ribs in (take the seeds out as they are just "seedy") - if you want a milder one take the ribs out too - or most of them anyway.

I've never seent Rot-tel up here, either. Would getting a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos be about the same? It seems like every week there are new canned diced tomato flavors!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom