Boiled-rice water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I work with a young woman from Thailand. She was trying to explain her favorite dish her mom makes. She said her mom cooks the rice then adds it to water and boils it for about 2 hours. Of course other things go in like chicken or pork and some cabbage and other veggies I forget. She looked the name up in her Thai/English dictionary and it came out as boiled-rice water. She showed pictures from the internet and it was a mostly white soup and the broth was milky from the rice starch. All the pictures she showed were labeled in Thai so I couldn't get any other info from the pictures. Any one here have any idea what this dish is called in English and where I could find a recipe? Her mom doesn't speak or read English so I can't get it from her!

What she showed was more milky and white. I wondered about that soup when she was telling me about it but she says it's not that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Well, it looks like congee is the same thing that Aunt Bea posted: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/congee.html

jabbur, it looks like there are different variations of this soup/porridge - sometimes it's cooked longer so the rice grains breaks down more, which would make it more white.

Can you ask her to write down her mother's method in English? Writing it down would prompt her to think it through more than describing it verbally.

Or maybe her mom could write it in Thai and your friend could translate.

Last edited:
We tried that and it wasn't making sense. She's also Deaf so she was trying to show us in sign language how her Thai mother makes this dish. We couldn't figure out how she was cooking the rice for 2 hours! After reading up on congee basic recipes, I think that's what she was talking about. I will ask her when I see her again tomorrow. She said her mom would put the rice in water, then dump the water, then cook the rice in the rice cooker, then put the cooked rice in a pot of water and cook it for 2 hours. All that description was like "What?" I think the first step was rinsing the rice, then actually cooking the rice, then adding it to the water to make the porridge. I need to ask what she adds to the rice too. Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know if that's what it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom