Buckytom's Manhattan Clam Chowduh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i've made this for family gatherings a few times to rave reviews. everyone kept asking how i got so much "clammy" flavor into it. i guess it was because the only liquid added was bottled clam juice and a little water. so, here's an "authentic" recipe for manhattan clam chowder, since i'm typing this from manhattan.

ingredients:

2 dozen littleneck clams
2 cans of whole baby clams, 10 ozs. each, juice seperated and saved
2 cans of chopped clams, 6.5 ozs each, juice seperated and saved
4 bottles of clam juice, 8 ozs. each
1 can chopped tomatoes, 32 ozs.
3 cups celery, 1/4" dice
3 cups carrots, 1/2 " dice
4 cups onions, 1/2" dice
5 cups potatoes, 1" dice
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper, 1/4" dice
2 heaping tbsps parsley
light olive oil
1 tbsp butter

a the morning that you're ready to make this, scrub the clams and place them in a bowl of cold water so they're submerged. change the water a few times, to help get rid of any sand they may have in them.

then, in a deep saute over medium low heat, add a tbsp or so of light olive oil, butter and quickly toast the garlic. transfer to a large (8 quarts or better) stock pot. in the saute pan, add a little more light olive oil, turn up the heat and brown the onions. transfer to stock pot.

to the stock pot, add the diced celery, carrots, potatoes, red pepper, can of chopped tomatoes, 2 bottles of clam juice, and the juice that was seperated from the cans of clams. turn up heat to high , bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low to simmer.
simmer for a half hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.

add the canned clams, continue to simmer and stir for another half hour. reduce heat to a low bubble simmer.

in the original deep sautee, add the remaining bottle of clam juice, and an equal amount of water over high heat to deglaze. scrape up any browning from the onions and garlic. when it starts to boil, add the littlenecks (you may have to do this in 2 batches, and add a little more water the second time), cover tightly, and steam until they just begin to open. when all clams are opened, let them cool in a bowl to help reserve any juices that run out.

add the remaining liquid from the saute pan to the stock pot.

when cool, remove clam meat from the shells and roughly chop each one into quarters, depending on the size. add the chopped clams and reserved juice to the stock pot.

add the parsley, and simmmer for another 10 minutes or so, stirring, checking to see that the veggies and potatoes are tender.

serve with oyster crackers.

Oh I'm drooling. I don't think I'd be able to duplicate this since getting fresh clams here on the prairies is difficult to say the least. I'll give it a go though! Thanks for this BT.

you can always just use canned clams, alix. there's so much clamminess in this i don't think it would be affected by not adding fresh ones. :chef:

If I could pick a guy to share my birthday from all of the men in the world, that recipe would decide for me that you, and only you, BT, the master of Manhattan Clam chowder would be that guy. And then, I would feel honored to share it with you. I carefully read through the recipe. I didn't have to get past the ingredient list to know that this is a phenomenal recipe, and I don't even like Manhattan style clam chowder. But I bet I'd like this recipe. It looks great. Good job brother.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

thanks for the vote of confidence, gw.

believe me, i'm often surprised when i make something that comes out really good. but i'm totally shocked when i can repeat the results... :chef:

this one has been a success every time.

thanx, bucky, 4 offering your recipe; i figure ill get a few items from wholey & make this~

Wow... that sounds so good!
We're making clam chowder today too! We only make it once or twice a year because it's so rich.

We use the Brattan's Boston Clam Chowder recipe with lots of butter and cream!

Back
Top Bottom