Cajun chicken soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey everybody

I’m not sure how accurate this title is but I’m working with leftovers. We went to Popeyes chicken and got a lg gravy with our meal. We ate a bit but not a lot. It’s a thinner ‘Louisiana’ style and has different flavours than my normal chicken gravy. So it’s kinda chilly today and even if it wasn’t I’m in the mood for soup lol.

So I roasted a chicken the end of last week pieces it apart and have that in the fridge, I have this Popeye’s gravy and veggies, etc.

What would you do to stick with that ‘Louisiana style’ for a chicken soup?

Thanks

Also I have to make a potato soup cause I have so many potatoes so if your ideas swing that way that’s good to.

I would dice up the famous Trinity - onion, carrot and bell pepper, and some okra if you have it, along with a couple cloves of garlic. Heat butter in a saucepan and add the onion, carrot and pepper. Sprinkle with salt and and sauté till softened;. Add garlic and cook till fragrant. Add okra if you have it, a bay leaf and the gravy; bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let cook, covered, for about 20 minutes. Then add the chicken and simmer till its heated through, 5-10 minutes.

Taste it. There might be enough seasoning in the gravy, but if you think it needs more, you can add some of whatever it's seasoned with.

I would dice up the famous Trinity - onion, carrot and bell pepper, and some okra if you have it, along with a couple cloves of garlic. Heat butter in a saucepan and add the onion, carrot and pepper. Sprinkle with salt and and sauté till softened;. Add garlic and cook till fragrant. Add okra if you have it, a bay leaf and the gravy; bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let cook, covered, for about 20 minutes. Then add the chicken and simmer till its heated through, 5-10 minutes.

Taste it. There might be enough seasoning in the gravy, but if you think it needs more, you can add some of whatever it's seasoned with.

Never had luck with Okra and the Mrs isn’t big on it. But the rest sounds good. I was thinking of cutting it with some chicken stock I have to make it soupy

Never had luck with Okra and the Mrs isn’t big on it. But the rest sounds good. I was thinking of cutting it with some chicken stock I have to make it soupy
I mentioned okra because it's a common Cajun ingredient. Of course you can leave it out. Adding chicken stock to thin it would be fine. You will probably need to add more seasoning.

The Cajun/Creole Trinity is green bell pepper, onion and celery!

Also I have to make a potato soup cause I have so many potatoes so if your ideas swing that way that’s good to.
This is a recipe for the easiest potato soup that you will (hopefully) love. We usually have it with longhorn cheese because it stretches when you pull your spoon up from the soup! Anyway, all you need are potatoes (I hope you have baking style like a russet or Idaho), butter, flour, and cheese (cheddar works, too). Oh, and onions. I do not like raw onion, but I do put some on this soup because it works so well.

Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe - Mother Earth News

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom