Canadian Cheese Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Saw this recipe and had to share. Only problem is does anyone know if there is a substitute for Angustura Bitters? I surfed to find it and only found 2 hits for sale. Both very expensive. One 4 oz. bottle cost almost $70.00 and I ain't gonna do it!!!!

CANADIAN CHEESE SOUP

4 T. butter
1 T. very finely diced yellow onion
1/2 c. very finely diced celery
1/2 c. very finely diced carrot
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. corn starch
1/8 t. paprika
1/8 t. baking soda
3 c. whole milk
3 c. chicken broth
2 lb. aged sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 drops of Angustura Bitters
salt and pepper to taste
fresh minced parsley for garnish

Melt the butter in a large saucepan; add onion, celery and carrot. Cook gently stirring often (about 10 minutes) until vegetables soften. In a small dish, mix flour, corn starch, paprika and baking soda together. Add to vegetables and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Slowly add milk and broth and whisk til smooth. Heat to a simmer; cover and cook gently stirring often (about 10 minutes) til carrots are tender. Remove from heat; add cheese SLOWLY and stir til smooth. Add Bitters, salt and pepper to taste and stir til incorporated. Serve hot with a sprinkling of parsley.
(makes 8 (1 c.) servings)

icy, angostura bitters shouldn't be that expensive. you'll find it in any half way decent bar as a mixer for drinks. $70 was probably for a case of a dozen 200ml bottles.

a single bottle should only be around $7 or $8...
look for it in liquor stores, or search online in alcohol related sites.

Here in the UK it is always available in supermarkets - but also in 'off licenses' - booze shops! Couldn't possibly have a 'pink gin' without Bitters! I think every British household has a bottle of Bitters in the storecupboard, and other additions, like L&P - which I use for most savoury beef dishes that I cook. It adds a filip to a Bolognese sauce, too.

Douse a lemon wedge with the bitters, try the best you can to eat it or just slurp up the bitters on it and it gets rid of hiccups :ermm:

Most grocery stores - in the mixer/drink section - should have it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom