Canned tomato soup embellishments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heat mine with a few sprigs of fresh thyme, remove, then add basil chiffonade. It's good with just the thyme too. If you don't have fresh you can always use a bit of dried. Gives it a nice savory flavor.

BUT, there's nothing better than plain (made with milk) tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich and a cold glass of milk!

We don't use canned tomato soup except in recipes, But if I did, I would put a little sour cream and some fresh choppped tomatoes in after heating.

You can try the way I make it, if you want that is.

1 (28-oz). can of diced tomatoes
1 (6-8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
1 c. chopped onions
½-1 c. chopped celery(optional)
1-2 Tbsp. butter
1 c. beef broth (can use boullion, canned or your own)
half-n-half or heavy cream
seasonings and spices to your taste

Saute the onions and celery in the butter until translucent. Add all ingredients except for the cream. Simmer for half hour, then add the cream, just enough to suit your taste. Check the seasonings. You can run this through a blender but we like it chunky.

simple and tasty, use milk, a grind of black pepper. a pinch of oregano, and a grate or two of parmesan chhese.

I make tomato soup a little like I do most soups, without an exact recipe. I usually start with crushed tomatoes, add some onion, maybe celery, green pepper (one or both) chicken broth, whatever herbs I have that will fit in. I almost never make the same soup twice - sometimes that is good and sometimes not. I am making a taco soup now and started out with a recipe, but switched about so it too, will be quite different. I just saw on America's Test Kitchen that they toasted their own tortillas and will do that to serve with my taco soup. They used corn but I have flour, so will try that this time.

Drop an egg yolk into each bowl before pouring steaming tomato soup. It's fun to see the red and yellow colors combine when you stir the soup. Makes the soup taste richer too! (I discovered this at an Italian restaurant).

sattie said:
Ok... here are my suggestions:

Tomato Soup: 1/2 can milk, 1/2 can water. 1 pat of butter and pinch of pepper.

Those little fish crackers (cheddar or pizza flavor) go good.

And when I have these seasoned oyster crackers on hand... I use them... they go great with this soup and are addictive to munch on by them selves.

2 bags oyster crackers
1 package ranch salad dressing mix
2 tblsp dill weed
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 cup of veggie/canola oil

Mix seasonings in the salad oil. Pour mixture over crackers (in a large bowl) and stir until all oil is absorbed. I pour all the crackers in a large zip bag and I got munchy food for the next 4 days!!!

Satie I love your idea of the goldfish crackers! Those little guys are soooo addictive, I'm just curious though what are oyster crakcers? I'm not familiar with that term? :) TIA.

licia said:
I make tomato soup a little like I do most soups, without an exact recipe. I usually start with crushed tomatoes, add some onion, maybe celery, green pepper (one or both) chicken broth, whatever herbs I have that will fit in. I almost never make the same soup twice - sometimes that is good and sometimes not. I am making a taco soup now and started out with a recipe, but switched about so it too, will be quite different. I just saw on America's Test Kitchen that they toasted their own tortillas and will do that to serve with my taco soup. They used corn but I have flour, so will try that this time.

lol.. yeah... that's how it is around my house too. Paul always asks me why I didn't make it like I did last time... I would if I could remember what I did. I just throw things together and never take the time to measure or write down what I did. "sometimes it's good and sometimes not".:)

I do the same thing with salad. I made a salad while we were at the farm and it was soooooooooo good. A day or so later everyone was asking would I please make it again - I couldn't remember what all had gone into it. I know I cleaned the fridge the same day - so there is no telling what all I dumped in.

I know this may sound a bit strange to others but here is what I do to jazz it up.

2 tsp of whole cumin seeds
2 tbsp of butter
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 seeded jalapeno cut into thin strips
2 cans of tomato soup
1 cup of water

I first add the butter. Once it's melted I add the cumin seeds and garlic and toast everything for a few minutes. Next I add the soup cans and water and let it all simmer covered for a few minutes. I stir in the jalapeno rings and let it simmer for another minute and serve piping hot.

The nutty cumin, pungent garlic and jalapeno tastes wonderful.

Shunka said:
You can try the way I make it, if you want that is.

1 (28-oz). can of diced tomatoes
1 (6-8 oz.) can of tomato sauce
1 c. chopped onions
½-1 c. chopped celery(optional)
1-2 Tbsp. butter
1 c. beef broth (can use boullion, canned or your own)
half-n-half or heavy cream
seasonings and spices to your taste

Saute the onions and celery in the butter until translucent. Add all ingredients except for the cream. Simmer for half hour, then add the cream, just enough to suit your taste. Check the seasonings. You can run this through a blender but we like it chunky.

I have this simmering on the stove. Not sure how it will
taste yet but it sure smells good!
Thank you for the recipe.:):)

You can adjust to your taste very easily with this recipe. I hope you like it or at least change up things to make it your own.

I added extra butter
and a little garlic... and I'm using whole milk instead of cream since I don't have any in the house right now.

I wish my hubby would hurry up and get home so we could eat it!!

Thanks again!

I have to tell you that I have used whole milk too, when I didn't have any cream in the house. I live in a very rural area and cannot run to the corner store. I have also froze this soup with no bad results too.

We liked it! I'll add more milk next time though because it had just a little too much tomato taste for paulie.

I think I'll try it chunkie next time too.

THANK YOU!

I forgot to tell you that you can add a little bit of sugar to cut the acid if you want. I'm glad that you liked it!!

I make with milk and add a little finely diced onion,

some parsley, thyme, oregano, basil.

Shunka said:
You can adjust to your taste very easily with this recipe. I hope you like it or at least change up things to make it your own.

Sounds EXCELLENT - I use a similar recipe - equal parts tomato sauce and heavy cream - heat with sprigs of fresh thyme, remove, then heat 10 minutes longer with basil chiffonade - can't wait to try your version!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom