Canned tomato soup embellishments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm just popping open a can of soup for dinner tonight.
Do you guys ever put anything in yours to make it just a little better?:)

pdswife said:
I'm just popping open a can of soup for dinner tonight.
Do you guys ever put anything in yours to make it just a little better?:)
Yep! I like to add crackers.:-p

Seriously tho... nothing like plain tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwhich. Mmmmm.

That's what were having for dinner MJ.
I don't want to be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning all night.
Gotta waste my time watching the Sci -fi shows.

I don't put any other foods,but, instead of water, I add milk. It's much creamier and imo, it's a better taste.

texasgirl said:
instead of water, I add milk.
I do that too Texasgirl - I am getting seriously hungry now. I bet tomato soup would taste good with some shredded cheddar cheese, maybe?

I knew a lady who used water in hers. I've never tried it... I've always used milk. Cream if I have it.

Shredded cheese would be good... I could even just do that a skip the sandwiches..save on some calories...Naw I'll do both. lol

For a "Can-o-'mater" soup - I generally use 1/2 can of milk and 1-Tablespoon of butter + a pinch of black pepper. Some saltine or oyster crackers are always a nice "garnish".

To "gussy" it up a bit ... and make it something totally different ... leftover white rice, some "meat" (diced chicken, kielbasa or shrimp), scallions, okra ... etc.

Po-Boy (Dorm Daze - College Days) Tomato soup (requires some scavenging):

12+ condiment packets of tomato catchup, 1 packet salt, 1-2 packets black pepper, 2-3 packets of saltine crackers (3-4 per pkg). Instructions:

1) Turn on hot water tap to get it as hot as possible
2) Into a 1+ cup bowl empty the catchup packets (the more the thicker the soup will be)
3) Add salt and pepper packets to taste
4) Slowly add water while stirring .... about 1 cup (or more depending on how many crackers you have)
5) Crush crackers and add

If the catchup is really lame/bland - add 1 pkg mustard.

If you are entertaining a date - double the recipe and get a 2nd bottle of Boone's Farm. If you are a child of the '60's - and probably smoking something that is not legal - triple the recipe and get 2 more bottles of Boone's Farm (2 Apple and 2 Strawberry).

lol.. Michael!
Thanks!! I don't think I'll be needing a triple batch tonight.

texasgirl said:
I don't put any other foods,but, instead of water, I add milk. It's much creamier and imo, it's a better taste.
Texas, you my cousin:LOL: Always cream for mixing the soup, then at the end, a dab of real butter, once it melts, my dad and I always used a tablespoon or so of sour cream on top, lots of buttered crackers on the side and slurp away...:LOL:

kadesma

Unless we've run out I always make it with milk or half milk/half water (never used cream with canned tomato soup though, just homemade - so tempting though :mrgreen:). I always add a pinch of dried parsley (really, it's just for colour, we all know how much flavour dried parsley has :LOL:) and lots of freshly crakced black pepper. Another favourite is basil, oregano, pepper and Parmesan it "Italianizes" it in a flash. Something that my mom often did with tomato soup and I still like to do if I've got some leftovers in the fridge is to add in a generous amount of plain cooked white rice, it's so yummy that way.

I agree with the consensuses, crackers are a must and failing that (or with it) some toast on the side.

This may sound a bit odd, but a packet of dehydrated onion soup mixed in with the tomato soup is really yummy. Adding in a bit of cooked, chopped green pepper and celery makes it even nicer. It's a quick and simple way to add some interest to plain tomato soup.

If you dont want to do all that, a nice sprinkling of FRESHLY ground peppercorn can do the trick. :)

grumblebee said:
This may sound a bit odd, but a packet of dehydrated onion soup mixed in with the tomato soup is really yummy.
That sounds really neat! Do you still make up the packet of soup with some liquid or just use the added can of liquid from the tomato soup for both?

Piccolina said:
That sounds really neat! Do you still make up the packet of soup with some liquid or just use the added can of liquid from the tomato soup for both?

I usually add in a bit of extra liquid. It's fine to add it just straight to the soup but some people may find that it's too oniony or salty. I like things really oniony so its fine for me, but when I make this for others I'll add in a bit of extra water.

grumblebee said:
I usually add in a bit of extra liquid. It's fine to add it just straight to the soup but some people may find that it's too oniony or salty. I like things really oniony so its fine for me, but when I make this for others I'll add in a bit of extra water.
Thanks Grumblebee (I was thinking about the saltines too), you've got me very curious now. I will have to remember this neat tomato soup twist :)

Tomato Soup Fan

Ok... here are my suggestions:

Tomato Soup: 1/2 can milk, 1/2 can water. 1 pat of butter and pinch of pepper.

Those little fish crackers (cheddar or pizza flavor) go good.

And when I have these seasoned oyster crackers on hand... I use them... they go great with this soup and are addictive to munch on by them selves.

2 bags oyster crackers
1 package ranch salad dressing mix
2 tblsp dill weed
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 cup of veggie/canola oil

Mix seasonings in the salad oil. Pour mixture over crackers (in a large bowl) and stir until all oil is absorbed. I pour all the crackers in a large zip bag and I got munchy food for the next 4 days!!!

Last edited:
Along with adding a bit of sour cream, try adding avocado chunks, a bit of chopped green onion and maybe some croutons in your bowl of tomato soup. This was the only way my oldest daughter would eat it with a grilled cheese.

Shunka said:
Along with adding a bit of sour cream, try adding avocado chunks, a bit of chopped green onion and maybe some croutons in your bowl of tomato soup. This was the only way my oldest daughter would eat it with a grilled cheese.
Shunka,
thanks for the great idea..I always add sour cream, but now avocado some green onion slices yummy...

kadesma:)

try adding small (shelled and deveined) shrimp, a little fresh lemon juice, a splash of tobasco or your favourite hot sauce, and sprinkle with fresh parsley. if you like cilantro, change the lemon juice for lime juice, and replace the parsley with the cilantro.

you could add just about any shellfish, but i prefer very small, spoonsized shrimp.

it's good served both hot and cold.

Wow. You guys are creative.

I had a friend that always added a can of beef noodle soup to his tomato soup. It was ok...but nothing I'd ever get a craving for.

I put some butter and pepper in ours last night. And I used half of a can of whole milk and half a can of cream. Yummmers.

Keep those ideas coming.
I love hearing them.

Back
Top Bottom